Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1997 Timing Belt: To Replace or Not to Replace

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Default 1997 Timing Belt: To Replace or Not to Replace

I need someone to give me the skinny on timing belt replacement. I have a 1997 V6 Camry with 116,000 miles. I replaced the timing belt at 58K at the significant cost of $1,000 which included the water pump as well. Since I'm hitting another 60K milestone it seems logical to replace the belt once again. However, in Toyota's own "Owners Manual Supplement" it states in a footnote to the 60,000 mile schedule:"Timing belt replacement only required for Special Operating Condition 3 as indicated on page 30 of the supplement." I don't fall under the special condition and simply drive the car back and forth to work 5 days a week and all highway miles.

In fact, according to the "Owners Manual Supplement" I can't tell if the timing belt should ever be replaced! I know that's just crazy but it's from the manufacturers own literature. Here's another quote:

"If the vehicle is operated under extensive idling or low-speed driving for long distances as in heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxi, or patrol car, replace the timing belt every 60,000 miles."

What should I do???

Old 12-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1997 Timing Belt: To Replace or Not to Replace

I believe that I read somewhere that for your year that you should replace the timing belt every 60,000 miles. You should aslo get your water pump done at the same time as well. Theres no real way of telling whether your timing belt will give on you, hence the recommended replacement intervals. So to be on the safe side I would definately get my belt replaced as well as the water pumpbecause the same work/parts are removed when replacing, mightas well kill two birds with one stone.

I did a little searching online and I found this site that may help:

http://www.familycar.com/CarCare/GatesFrame.htm

Best of luck.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 PM

if you replaced your belt at the year 2000 or over, chances are your new timing belt is the one thatrequirers 90k service...unless its been contaminated with oil..

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 PM

This can cause nothing short of a headache later on in life.
This really has nothing to do with your problem, but my uncle took his volvo into the dealership to get an oilchange. They told him at 120k his timing belt needed to be replaced sense its never been done. All dealer maint so it never showed he got it done. He said hed take care of it the next time he was in. Not even 2 days later me and my cousin driving the volvo had to push this tank down the road back home when the belt broke. Use not knowing what happend tring to restart the engine bent the valves and all that good stuff. Long story short 2,300$ later we had the volvo back.

Now my car has a timing chain and never needs replacement unless its making noise or the timing is off ect..

However id advise you to get your timimg belt done whatever the dealer recommends the service intervals. Usually the belt is in good condition and doesnt need it right away. But over time the belt will only get worse. Its a good prev maint service. Unless you plan on trading it in, or selling it soon id have it done. If you dont you could draw the short straw.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 PM

Replace timing belt only if you need to. But according to owner's manual, under normal operating conditions, timing belt replacement at 105,000 miles/168,000 kilometers/7 years. Change at 60,000 miles/100,000 kilometers when driven continuously in extreme temperature conditions ie; operated at temperatures 110deg. F & above/-20 deg. F or below.