Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

'93 camry 2.2 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Default '93 camry 2.2 rebuild

I bought a '93 non running from relative who had lost the oil pressure, but drove it home. I pulled the timing cover and found the oil pump pulley separated from the pump shaft. Center of pulley was eaten away like the shoulder bolt was not installed correctly. I replaced the pulley, shaft with cover and pump mechanism with the ring from an old motor. Didn't look like anything wrong with the internal part of the old pump assembly. Also new timing belt. Run about 3K miles and was hearing a noise like idler pulley or alternator bearing. Checked without AC belt and also removed timing belt and checked idler and tensioner bearings. The noise was not always present but seemed to be internal, block or head. Drained oil and found shavings. 150,000 on the engine.
I pulled the engine, found more shavings in pan, then disassembled engine. Crank is fine, mains look perfect. one rod bearing has small mark (assume from shaving in oil) but I am finding nothing to account for the shavings in pan. No. 2 piston has light scoring on one side, No. 1 has less. 3 and 4 OK. I see nothing in the head area, other than heavy glaze and usual deposits. The large shavings in the pan are aluminum. Smaller ones had brassy color. I'm not sure where to look next.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 PM

when bearings are on good spec the color of them is silver every bearing on brass color indicate excessive ware shavings on the pan are 99.9% of the time from worn bearings , there is no possible way to tell is crank is still good by just looking at it , crank,rod ,caps need to measure whit in specs. can you please take photos of every internal component and post them here to give you a better answer .