Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2005 Toyota Camry 4DR LE: Rattling Noise After Upgrading To HO Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Question 2005 Toyota Camry 4DR LE: Rattling Noise After Upgrading To HO Alternator

Hello everyone,

I hope someone out there could shed some light to help me with my Camry.. Ok, I've installed an HO 160 AMP Iraggi Alternator on my Camry yesterday, right? So, at first I had the hardest time figuring out to take the belt off to uninstalling my old alternator. Now, before I figured out that there were a tension bolt that I had to turn to take the tension off the belt so that I can take the belt off. To be quite truthful, I took the top bolt off the alternator off, then the bottom bolt and move the alternator up and down and the belt came tighter.. (Yes, I've did the liberty on making sure that there were no power going on with the car and I even disconnected the battery)

Now, I think I've messed the tracking on the belt and I've stretch the belt or something but, moving forward.

Ok, now when I figured out that I had to turn the tension bolt to take the belt off. I did that and walla!, I've taken the alternator out and put the new alternator in. Put the belt back on and made sure everything is good and secure and put back the wires, etc and how it should be and I turn the car on.

The car turned on alright and the alternator is working just fine but, now when I turn the car on there's a rattling noise that I hear when idle and even when I 'Rev' the engine also. I turned the car off and on and it's there again. I put my ears to where the alternater is at and the rattling noise is not coming out of the alternator. Now, when I drive the car for maybe a 3-5 miles the noise goes away. I turn off the car and turn it back on; the noise disappears. So, cool. I thought it was the alternator that I replaced might have to be breaked in or something but, come to think of it?, the sound was not coming from the alternator - - the belt maybe?.. I ask myself

This morning when I turned my car on it does the same thing. It's rattling again. I think that I might of stretch the belt or maybe the tracking on the belt is messed up.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions would be great. I really want this rattling noise to go away because I'm tempted to take it to the dealership today to figure it out.

Regards,

stomper

.. also could it be the water pump?.. because I haven't touched the waterpump? and there's no leaks underneath my car. Shoot I'm lost .. I really want to get this fixed..asap.

Make & Model: 05' Toyota Camry LE 4DR.
Mileage: approx. 53,000 miles

Last edited by stomper; 03-15-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Check the AC magnetic clutch. Does the noise go away when the A/C is working.

Use a section of plastic hose as a stethoscope to narrow down the noise area.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Check the AC magnetic clutch. Does the noise go away when the A/C is working.

Use a section of plastic hose as a stethoscope to narrow down the noise area.
Hi Toyo,

Thank you very much for your quick response. To answer your question. ~ No, the noise doesn't go off when the A/C is working. It comes on when the car's engine hasn't come on for awhile (maybe an hour or two) and the rattle comes back. After driving the car for about 3-5 miles or maybe 10 miles; the rattling noise disappears.

The waterpump is working fine. It's not leaking. I haven't touched it when I replaced the alternator.

The alternator is working fine. There's no indication of it making the rattling noise.

I'm assuming that the the belt is messed up because I stretch it when trying to figure out how to take the alternator out before I knew about the "tension bolt" that I had to turn in order to take the belt off. - I feel that I've stretch it a little.

Hmmm!

What you think?

Last edited by stomper; 03-15-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:42 AM

Here is the picture of it:

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Toyota Camry 4DR LE: Rattling Noise After Upgrading To HO Alternator-0314001450.jpg  
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Might also check the automatic belt tensioner.

Belts can make strange noise, use a stick or something long to move the belt slightly when engine is running. Determine if the noise varies or goes away.

The engine does have a timing chain, make sure the noise is not from inside the timing chain cover.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:19 AM

Hey Toyo,

Thank you so much for the help. I just spent 150 bones to get this cot'n pickin' thing fixed. It was actually the 'pulley' the HO alternator had a smaller pulley then the stock alternator pulley. They switched it out and bleed something else. I think it's the like the tension something?.. oh well, the car is not rattling anymore and it's the way how it suppose to be. Quiet!

stomper!