Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

94 Camry Neutral Safety Switch?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:49 PM
BIC
Default 94 Camry Neutral Safety Switch?

94 Camry, 4 cyl, auto, 156,000 mi. In the past, occasionally wouldn't start in Park (just dead, no turning), but would start OK in Neutral. Now happening more frequently and having a harder time starting in Neutral.

Guessing Neutral Safety Switch or similar sensor, but don't know. Thank you for any help.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

The P/N switch is incorporated into the gear indicator switch located behind the shift lever arm on the trans. Follow the trans shift cable to the arm.

Might try spraying as best as possible contact cleaning into the switch. Something like CRC electrical contact cleaner, etc.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
BIC

@toyomoho

Are you talking about looking inside the console cover between the seats for the shift lever or under the car on the transmission itself? Don't know what the shift lever arm is. I did buy some CRC. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

There is nothing to check between the seats.

The shifter inside the car is connected to the switch mounted on the transmission by push/pull cable. The switch is mounted on the side of the trans facing the radiator.

Look at this side of the trans for a cable that is coming from the direction of the firewall. The end of the cable connects to a lever on the trans. This is the shift lever arm. The switch is behind the lever.

Have someone inside the car move the shifter from P to low and back as you look under the hood for the lever moving. Make sure the engine is off and E-brake on.

The switch can be taken apart for cleaning or you can spray the CRC into the switch to attempt to clean the electrical contacts.

Do a search of this site for the last month on my member name. Someone else had a problem with their trans switch, I posted back with a link to site having detailed directions on how to take the switch apart and clean it.

Worth a try, the switch is $2-300 new.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Post 94 Camry Neutral Safety Switch R/R

Hope I doing this Post the correct way.

Want ask after Remove and Clean the Switch. What are the adjustment.
I have a Chilton Manual it is vague say to Ohmmeter terminals in Neutral for continuity, which terminals?

Also the I did find in the Chilton Manual the "Shift Cable" Adjustment. Since I did remove the Shift Lever Arm nut when I Removed the Switch. Chilton said to put the Selector in Neutral the Trans in Neutral then lightly hold the Lever toward the Reverse position to tighten the nut.

Would doing the "Shift Cable" Adjustment in Reverse set the Switch and tighten the Switch Mount bolts. Work?