Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Always have to add coolant - no leaks - does not overheat - oil clean - have no idea

Old 08-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Default Always have to add coolant - no leaks - does not overheat - oil clean - have no idea

This really puzzles me. When I check my coolant level in my 4 cylinder 2.2L 1993 Toyota Camry coolant is always bit low after driving the car. I have to add coolant to bring it up to the top of the radiator neck. I do not see any leaks from the hoses or the radiator itself and it seems like it is the same amount I add each time, however I do smell an odor inside if I have the fan blowing. I checked the floor and it isn’t wet. I did not take the carpet off and check the heater core to see if there is a slight leak there. The engine temperature remains stable and there is no difference in the way the car runs either cold or hot and how long I drive it. The oil looks clean - not a coffee/white color and no bubbles. Had a compression test performed and every cylinder was fine. Car has 115,000 on it and it really runs great.My mechanic added K-Seal and said to try it out. He said many people used it and it worked always well. He said there may be a (gasket) leak, but he couldn’t find one anywhere else either. Is this K-Seal stuff any good? Still adding coolant, but the car seems to run a bit smother. My take on these things were like putting tape over a hole in a bucket.
Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM

I had this very issue with my 2002 Camry with having to add coolant every time it was driven. No leaks were visible, the engine maintained proper temperature, no warning lights came on whatsoever. That was until recently when there was a slight puddle underneath the car. Took it to the dealership and the car has been slowly overheating for the past few months without my knowledge and without the typical overheating smell and without any warning lights from the car. Now we are looking at MAJOR engine repairs. I would just keep an eye on it to make sure that no other problems creep up.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:48 AM

Have it inspected by a qualified mechanic. If no leaks can be found while the system is pressurized- a combustion leak tester will check for the presence of Hydrocarbons in the coolant. If there is HC's detected- you likely have a failed head gasket.

JJ