Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Antifreeze on Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Default Antifreeze on Spark Plug

We have a 94' Toyota Camry 4-Cyl. that is giving us some problems. I have antifreeze on my spark plug making the engine
misfire, and it has actually rusted the tube for the plug as well. I would think it was a cracked head, but the oil seems to be
fine and no antifreeze or water is getting into the oil, or so it seems. We took her in to get the system flushed to see if there were any antifreeze leaks, but no dice.

The system must have been leaking antifreeze from somewhere because how I found the problem was almost overheating the engine on I95 because there was no antifreeze whatsoever in the engine, so I put in some decently diluted antifreeze and distilled water about three weeks ago, and the problem has only become more apparent.

Pictures can be found here on flickr are linked throughout.

Help would be greatly appriciated.

-TG

Old 11-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Antifreeze on Spark Plug

How strange. I was going to say blown/cracked headgasket, but maybe not...

Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

How do you find these photos?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:48 AM

The photos are embedded in the blue text like "antifreeze on my spark plug"

Old 11-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

If liguid coolant in the sparkplug tube would have to suspect a cracked head. The tubes are pressed or threaded into the head. They do not thread into the coolant passages of the head.

The more typical issue is oil getting into the tube not coolant.

The coolant on the upper radiator may be caused by a cracked upper plastic tank or leaking cap.

Examine the upper tank for cracks and very small leaks or signs of leakage. This is a very common issue with the plastic tanks.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM

right well that is what i thought at first toyomoho. but i couldnt find a bloody crack there. maybe i am testing wrong? i seriously took it in and to a mechanic who has been working on toyotas for 20 yrs and he has no clue, i thought someone might know.

there is a crack in the overflow, but that doesnt really matter since its gotta be coming from somewhere else and the overflow isnt close to the sp.s. i was hoping to see some oil because then i would know for sure.

i found some someone who has a similar problem on his tundra but i didnt get my engine cleaned and this is def. not degreaser,
degreaser is not rusing my spark plug well.

i am thinking it could be the coil, but i dont know if that is possible?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

The coil, what?

It is possible coolant is leaking out of the radiator and the leak is hard to find. Sometimes coolant will evaporate on the radiators hot srufaces and leave only a trace of coolant dye.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Hello,
I have EXACTLY the same problem - same generation car, Camry 1996 4cyl.
AND IT'S exactly the same spark plug tube / same cylinder NO #2!
Hopefully you'' still checking this forum in that way we can share some information.
Thank you!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Question antifreeze on spark plug

This can happen if water gets in there. there is no possible way to get coolant into that spark plug tube, i only know this because i know those heads inside and out. if you are having a drivability issue my professional suggestion is to pull the head and have it rebuilt. make sure the valves are shimmed correctly. I do know the older 5sfe engines have a couple different issues, this isnt the first time i have heard of rust in the tube. I would see if you can boroscope the cylinders and see how clean they are. that will give evidence to tell if you are consuming any coolant in the combustion chamber. also have you noticed any white smoke at start up?