Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Camry 2002 - Loud knocking sound in engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Default Camry 2002 - Loud knocking sound in engine

I have camry 2002 4 cylinder engine car. All of sudden, getting loud knocking sound from engine. When i got it checked with Toyata service, they say its engine rod is broken and I need to have new engine.

More the throttle, more the knocking sound from engine and see no power in engine at all. The Toyata mechanic said, it is not recommended to drive this car.

Can we replace the engine? How much it costs? What would be price for junk yard?

Appreciate any help!!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

If really a broken rod don't start the engine.

Curious, did you drive the car to the dealer with the knock?

Was the engine over revved, broken rods are not normal on this engine?

Could it be a rod bearing and not a broken rod? Engine will run with rod bearing issues but still not recommended to do so.

Are thinking about replacing the engine yourself? It can be done but if first time give yourself a lot of time.

Prices on used engines seem to be around $1000 and up. Call auto salvage yards, check Craigslist for individuals parting out cars.

It appears a 2002-06 engine will work. Toyota made a few minor changes on the engine thus retain old engine to be able to swap parts.

Take note the engine had issues with excess oil burning and blown head gaskets. This site has long threads on both.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Default 97 Camry

I had the same problem on a recent trip to NY. Luckily I was able to find a spot and park it til I could get it towed to a shop. It runs and it drives, just not without a loud knocking sound. I know that sound and it means a new engine. It sucks because the old engine had only 100,000 miles on it. ALL original.

I was wondering since the engine only has 100k does it have any value above scrap value? Is there any reason to believe it would be more cost effective to rebuild it vs. replacing the engine?

The shop owner said he's going to ask around to find me a replacement engine but I'm not sure if it isn't worth just scraping the whole thing and buying another used car.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

The cylinder head and a few other parts are aluminum and have some scrap value. Much depends on problem, if a major bearing issue then the crank may be scrap.

Check Edmonds.com car appraisal section for pricing. The shop should be able to give a you a ball part price for replacement engine and labor, then compare with cars worth. If the car only has 100K miles and is pristine then might consider repairing. At least you know what you have, versus buying another used car.

First find out what the problem is, the engine could be gone but who knows.

If not doing your own work, used engines are cheapest, then perhaps mass production rebuilds, then having a shop rebuild yours.

The 97 is Generation 4, one of the best generations of Camry. A solid, easy to work on car (if not abused).

Old 05-15-2014, 04:25 PM

I had the same noise coming from my engine. Started a month ago. I took it to my shop who told me not to worry about it. They said it was nothing major. Today the rod came through the side of the block on the highway. Yeah me and to hell with my mechanic.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Ouch! That really sucks, sorry to hear that you car is out of commission. Are you going to replace the engine or start looking for a new car? What year and engine was your Camry?