Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:18 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

Car wont accelerate or rev!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Default Car wont accelerate or rev!

I have a 2007 toyota camry. Today I went to start it, and it wouldnt turn over so I got a jump. The whole time the check engine light was on. It drove fine, i reached my destination and turned it off. Went to turn it on again, wouldnt start. Got it jumped AGAIN and let it sit for about 10 minutes.Went to put it in reverse, it jerked, but it was going in reverse. I put it in drive, again it jerked, and I went to the the accelerator..NOTHING. It didnt budge. It just kept rolling as if I had it in neutral or something. When i realized the gas wasnt working, I put it in park, let it sit for a few minutes and tried to rev it, and NOTHING. It didnt budge past 2000 RPMs, and sure enough after a few minutes of having it sit in park, it cut off again. I got it towed to a toyota dealership..they guy checked the battery said it definitely needed to be replaced. Ok, so i got a battery and replaced it. Now it starts fine, but it STILL WONT ACCELERATE or rev in any gear. I dont know what to do. In fact, I just came back from a trip this weekend; drove about 300-400 miles, and everything was fine. Got up this morning, and everything is broken and not working. I just had an oil/filter etc.. change 30 days ago. WHAT COULD POSSIBLE BE HAPPENING!! Any helpful hints I can get so I can get the right service done and not get screwed would be awesome. I am just totally baffled and frustrated. THANK YOU.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Did the dealer investigate the cause of the check engine light being on?

If a 4 cylinder, the throttle is electrical. I think the V6 of this year was the same. The gas pedal is no longer connected to the throttle plate by a cable. The pedal has a position sensor. Based on the position of the pedal an electric motor on the throttle moves the throttle plate a certain amount.

The pedal position sensor device or the electric motor can fail. The result is the throttle is pressed but no RPM's. The computer goes into limp home mode, just enough RPM to get you home or to a shop.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 AM

Thanks for replying Joey. The dealership didn't check why the light was on.. They only checked the battery and the oil and said the battery had to be replaced. So the second time I got the car jumped, the guy put the cables on backwards and there was a spark. Could that have shorted out the sensor? Because the accelerator didn't go limp until after that second time I got it jumped. Your explanation makes sense but I can't figure out how the accelerator could just go flat like that. Could the jump I was given probably cause that? Is the sensor expensive to replace or reset.. Whatever the proper "to do" is. That also means I would probably have to take it to a Toyota dealer? Thanks so for your assistance.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

All sorts of electrical problems can be caused by reversing the battery jumper cables!

If your lucky you just blew a few fuses.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:13 PM

So I got a mechanic to look at it this afternoon. All he did was remove some fuses to see if any were fried. He took all of them out, and then out them right back in. After he was done the acceleration worked! And all he did was take the fuses out and put them back in. Very weird..although the check engine light is still on. So now I am pretty concerned about thIs happening again and plus that light is still on. Should I take it to Toyota or can the check engine light be diagnosed anywhere? When I first bought the car the check engine light was on and they had to reprogram something to get it to turn off..althogh now im concerned it's something legit. Thanks again for your replies...very helpful!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Could be the problem is still there but somehow reset itself with the fuse being pulled.

Any auto shop can read the codes. Some auto parts stores will read them (free or for a small charge). Think AutoZone now charges a fee. Or the stores may loan out a code reader. Call around to auto parts stores.

You might be able to rent one.

The dealer can read them but will charge around $100 for a diagnostic fee.

Suggest you get any codes read as this can pinpoint the problem (at least as to why the light is on).

Old 05-15-2021, 12:13 PM
Default Car will starts but won't Rev

My 2007 camry, I took it to a technician to check what drains my battery, he had to do some rechecking of my fuses and I got the battery replaced, when I was about to go home, I saw my check engine light on, I made enquiries, he took out the battery and I restarted the car and it wasn't there by the time I got home, the next day I wanted to move the car it started but won't Rev, removed the battery severally and inserted it and it started and Rev just fine, as I was about a 1 kilometer away.. The check engine light came on and the car could not accelerate.. And this is a recurrent problem. What do I do? I called for an obd scan and the scan says throttle sensor... Could this be the problem?

I need help.