Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Hard shifting out of Park to Reverse (on the console)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Default Hard shifting out of Park to Reverse (on the console)

Hello all, I'm the proud original owner of a 2001 Camry LE 2.2L Automatic. I recently had a brain fart (they get more frequent as time goes by). As I was taking an off-ramp, I went to downshift into 2nd from Drive, and for some reason, my hand went into the other direction, and I selected reverse (yes, the gear shift button was selected, force of habit?). The car stalled, and I paniced, and tried to go into park...I was still decelerating, so the park doohicky slapped around a bit until I realized that I need to come to a complete halt. I swear I am not a drug user. The car seems to be working fine, with the exception of difficulty shifting out of park (to reverse or anything else). It seems to require more force on occasion, depending on how the gear is sitting perhaps?

I have 2 questions:
1) Does the 2001 Camry have smart logic to prevent damage to the tranny/engine. Some sort of rev limiter when engaging reverse to prevent idiots like me from causing harm? I've called the Toyota dealer and get mixed answers.

2) Tranny Fluid is clean, even after 60K miles without a change, but I will still drop it. What could be causing the harshness of the shifter?

Thanks!