Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

o2 sensor, california/not? difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Default o2 sensor, california/not? difference?

denso makes a california spec o2 sensor, which has a different connector on it...is there a difference in the o2 sensor/computer other than the connector? or must it be the right one?

if they're different, what is the difference?

Old 03-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: o2 sensor, california/not? difference?

The issue with a Calif spec car is it uses a wide band sensor allowing a more fine tuned output signal. This is often called an air/fuel sensor (A/F) rather then O2 sensor.

If the car is Calif spec the computer is also and will be looking for this type of sensor.

The 48 state sensor would be a narrow band type.

These days most cars sold in the USA are Calif spec thus less confusion over what sensor to use. And the terms A/F and 02 are often interchanged.

If a Calif spec car use the spec sensor or you risk having the trouble light come on.

Denso is a good brand, some owners who have used other brands have had issues with the check engine light coming on (even if the right type sensor).

Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 PM

i looked up the parts in the denso online catalog, my connector was the cali spec. but i bought the non-cali spec one...and modified the connector to fit :X it had the same wires, i checked the resistances, it was all the same? so i figured why not, and yeah, i got a CEL. i think its running lean...b\c it kind of feels like its cutting out when i accelerate, is that a possible symptom? i think i'll go back and try to get the cali sensor and see how that affects it. how can i check if my car is really cali spec or not? sticker somewhere? vin?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

There should be a small sticker on the front of the hood with a diagram of the cars emission system and the words CALIF. The Calif engines typical have an additional smog converter right after the exhaust manifold

The sensor can cause the engine to run lean or rich, effect MPG and drivability.

The single wire sensor is grounded via its case, the two wire sensor has one wire running to ground. Might be Brown, the other wire may be Red/Blue and runs to the computer. Make sure when you installed the sensor you allowed for a complete circuit.

Have you read the read the trouble codes?