Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Iridium spark plugs? How long do they last??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:14 PM

Lasting longer is important, but like some of those "Fat Guy" tires which last, but have "meager grip" as Road & Track said last month about some Fat Guy OEM's it doesn't mean they work better.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 AM

J Sparrow, I hear what you say about longevity vs performance.

I don't know how to measure spark plug performance. But, I can tell you that the the fuel economy in our 2003 Camry 2AZFE has been consistent throughout the entire life of the Iridium plugs, and did not change when the new Iridium plugs were installed at 100,000 miles. So, beyond the appearance and gap of the plug being within spec for 100,000 miles. I think that is an indicator. By the way I also subscribe to using an anti seize compound on plug threads, and any fastener that goes into aluminum.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 PM

If you own a V6 where getting to the rear bank is a PIMA, or don't do your own, the iridium is a good choice. On the Gen 3 and 4 I-4 the plugs are easy to get to, a good 3/8 torque wrench can be had from "Harbor Freight" for 15 bucks, so I still refuse to pay someone else to do it. I thought I would try the NGK platinum single electrode. I use their platinum in everything from my Honda mower to my BMW bike -(both take the same plug as the old Volvo OHC 2.1.) They cost less than half as much if you shop+ go about 50 K without a regap. The number for the NGK is BKR6EGP for the Gen 4 I-4. It is a specific NGK application for the I-4, no matter what a white coat wearing, clipboard carrying, ex parts changer, working on commission, "service advisor" may claim. Since I have 2 Gen 4's I have the "stock" NGK iridium in the other, and there is no doubt it is a good long lasting plug. Same for the Denso version. I think, though, the platinum fitted engine is a little stronger.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:02 PM

NGK does not recommend the use of anti-seize compounds.

Quote:

1. Anti-seize

NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver- or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage.