Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Lack of Power 96 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 12:04 AM

Thanks! i never would have found that one out

Old 02-10-2017, 10:03 PM

Sorry its been a while sense I've posted an update. But I have made a little progress.

I've narrowed down the knock to the head. It sounded higher up when I first started the diagnosis. But my question is, what could be the cause? My first guess is a bent valve, and if that's the case, How do I go about fixing this problem?

Old 02-11-2017, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kimber4268
Sorry its been a while sense I've posted an update. But I have made a little progress.

I've narrowed down the knock to the head. It sounded higher up when I first started the diagnosis. But my question is, what could be the cause? My first guess is a bent valve, and if that's the case, How do I go about fixing this problem?
Well all work on the car has stopped. Got new sensors put in, oil changed for free, it was awesome. Went to drive it around the block to see how it was performing and right as she shifted into second gear, the engine blew. No oil anywhere nothing. Just a thump and now it won't even turn over. Is it worth salvaging or should I just start looking for another car. Due to being complelty broke I can't afford a new motor. Might have to just part it out.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

What do you mean by "blew?"

Old 02-11-2017, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
What do you mean by "blew?"
i was driving it back and all of a sudden the engine shut off and all the gauges red zero, I coasted to a stop and tried to start the engine, and when I turned the key, all the lights dimmed and I could hear the starter kick on but it wasn't turning. When I piped the hood there was no smoke. No oil anywhere so I know it didn't shoot a rod, but I think the engine seized. Is that possible when the engine is at 1800 rpm? Maybe a valve stuck and the piston hit it and stopped and now it is stuck like it was seized? I don't know. How would I go about finding out what happened without pulling the head? I don't have another head gasket to replace the current one.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

When the engine ran but made noise, did run OK? A stuck valve tends to make the engine idle poorly.

This engine is non-interference. Unless a valve stuck out farther open then normal, the engine would not be damaged.

Remove spark plugs. Remove the passenger side tire and small inner fender plastic shield to view the harmonic balancer. Try to rotate the engine CW with a breaker bar and socket and determine if it is free or frozen. With plugs out should rotate easy and free.