Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Which Motor Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Default RE: Which Motor Oil?

Synthetics are good. The only problem is, once you switch to synthentic oil, it's not recommended to switch back to conventional oil. Can't provide the specifics, it's just what I've been told. Perhaps someone here will have better details for that.

Personally, I've used Dura Lube in my last car. And honestly, I stand by that product. It's helped my engine last almost 20 years (used it for about 15). With only minor tune ups.

At one point, I didn't realize that my oil leak was that bad (worn out gasket). And from a guestimate, I drove my car for about 2 days with no oil before I realized it. I used it as an additive, twice a year, kept my old car running quiet, and helped on the mpgs.

I'm due for an oil change in a couple of months, and plan on using it for my Camry, along with Castrol GTX 10w 30. It worked for my other car, can't see why it wouldn't work for the Camry.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 PM

You can go back and forth to synthetics and conventional. It does not hurt a thing. If you could not mix the 2 there would not be blends on the market as well. The only advantages I see in synthetics is longer oil change intervals which if you are under warranty I would not recommend just in case you have an issue with the car. Spend some time on www.bobistheoilguy.com. Read some of the info and check out the forums. There is tons of info about maintenance for your cars. I just bought a 07 camry as well. I plan on 5k intervals on castrol gtx 5W-20 and toyota filters until warranty is out. Then I will switch to synthetic and push it out to 7.5k. I just cannot justify the cost of synthetic unless I can run the intervals further.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:35 PM

d I do not get warm fuzzies using the jiffy lube places. I had them mess up a tranny on a dodge pickup once and I have heard many horror stories from others using them. If you are going to in a pinch, I would buy my own oil and filter and physically watch them install and pour in the oil. Check the level yourself afterwards. Most of them will do the service for 10 to 15 bucks if you supply the filter and oil. Not too bad if in a pinch.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: tsmay51

You can go back and forth to synthetics and conventional. It does not hurt a thing. If you could not mix the 2 there would not be blends on the market as well. The only advantages I see in synthetics is longer oil change intervals which if you are under warranty I would not recommend just in case you have an issue with the car. Spend some time on www.bobistheoilguy.com. Read some of the info and check out the forums. There is tons of info about maintenance for your cars. I just bought a 07 camry as well. I plan on 5k intervals on castrol gtx 5W-20 and toyota filters until warranty is out. Then I will switch to synthetic and push it out to 7.5k. I just cannot justify the cost of synthetic unless I can run the intervals further.
Interesting, that's the first time I've heard about switching between conventional and synthetic. Wanted to read more about it, but the link to bobistheoilguy doesn't seem to work for me. Keep getting a blank page. Curious, do you use 5W-20 year round?

Old 06-26-2007, 06:01 PM

http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...eads.php?Cat=0

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Hopefully these will work. One is to their forums and the other is to the website.

Motors and oils have come a long way in the last 15 years or so. Motors are not as tough on oil as they used to be and oils are much better. There is no reason to do the 3000 mile interval anymore unless your racing, offroading or something that is very hard on the vehicle. Check these websites out.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:45 AM

I just bought the car. In Texas I don't need the cold start protection that 0W-20 would give me. So I will probably stick with 5W-20 conventional oil and toyota filters until my warranty is up atleast.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Cool. Thanks tsmay51. Those links work.

I'm in Canada, and our winters has it's moments here. But 10W 30 seems to work just fine for me all year round. This coming winter will be my first with the Camry. So I guess we'll see then how it fairs.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:56 PM

My camry is a 4 cyl. It sates to use -5W-20 or 0W-20. The 5W should be fine for the climate I am in here in Texas. If I lived somewhere it gets really cold I would probably go with a 0W synthetic in the wintertime. I think the V6 models call for a 5w-30. I would change over to a 0W-30 in the wintertime for them as well. A 10w-30 flows pretty thick at cold startup in a car that calls for a 5w-xx. JMO...

Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

10W is not thick at all at cold startup, especially not where you live.
Look in the owners manual, it will usually tell you two grades of oil you can use for your vehicle. Try to always stay within the specified range.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Will definately mark that on my calendar. Good thing, it'll be right around the time for my scheduled oil change.

Quick Reply: Which Motor Oil?