Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine overheated

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Default engine overheated

2004 Camry overheated and quit. I removed the plugs and when I tried to crank it water shot up from the 2-3 cylinders. I told one machanic this and he said it could be head gasket. When I took it to the Toyota dealer the person didin't even look at it he said that if water came out of second and third cylinders the engine was blown. Is this true or should I let someone else look at it or please will someone give me some advice on what to do. They are telling me about $4000 for a engine with 49k miles to replace the one I have.That is installed. (2200) for the engine

Old 06-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Might also ask at the Toyotanation website in the appropriate forum.

You should be able to get a fair idea of engine prices by calling auto salvage yards. The engine model is a 2AZ-FE.

$4K minus $2.2K is $1.8K. Divide this by the dealers hourly shop rate to get the number of hours which guessing is somewhere around $150/hr.

You might be able to find a shop with cheaper hourly rates.

Water in the cylinders is of course not good. The engine may be blown, don't know. The only real way to know is to remove the cylinder and take a look at the head, pistons, valves, block, etc.

If you had water in the coolant then this can mean the bearings are now bad due to the effects of the coolant.

The issue is it will cost some labor dollars to have a shop remove the head, something that is not required if the engine is replaced.

You might get a second quote on an engine replacement from someone other then the dealer.

The above does not answer your question but without seeing inside the engine can only guess. The best you can do is shop around for prices on a replacement engine and installation labor.

Perhaps find someone that can remove the head at a low cost and give an opinion. If the engine is blown there is no need to reinstall the head, but make sure to keep ALL the parts as some may be needed for the replacement engine.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Default OMg

Sabrina,
Although I appreciate the attempted science lesson your comment had absolutely nothing to do with my question.