Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

performance spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Default performance spark plugs

i was thinking about getting some performace spark plugs but im not sure what they really do. so does anybody know what the really do?? or what there purpose is? thanks

Old 07-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Default RE: performance spark plugs

Theres really only two main functions for a spark plug. To ignite fuel/ air. To remove heat from the combustion chamber. Theres so many plug types it becomes confusing at times but its really all simple. Hot plugs cold plugs. Iridium Plat Copper !!! High performance plugs are only needed on high performance vechiles. I highly think a toyota camry qaulifies as one but thats just my opinion maybe im wrong. All in all you should stick with whatever your owners manual recommends. If you put the wrong plug type in your car it could cause major engine damage. You have to make sure it has the proper gap too.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:16 AM

I'm using NGK Iridiums- burns better than the OEM one but it only gives minimal gains if any at all.. then again i'm only using a butt-dyno.. .

Old 07-25-2007, 06:29 AM

ORIGINAL: OnE_To_HatE

I'm using NGK Iridiums- burns better than the OEM one but it only gives minimal gains if any at all.. then again i'm only using a butt-dyno.. .
thats true .. am using them as well .. they will last longer with a better burning of fuel ... but only between time to time i check them & get them cleaned & install them back.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 AM

how do you clean them?

Old 07-26-2007, 04:05 AM

well what i was told by a workshop manager who was a mechanic for more than 15 years that when i check the plugs & they are ok to be used again ... before installing them back i just spay them with a spray cleaner like WD-40 or brake parts cleaner & dry them with air then put them back but without rubbing them.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:43 AM

performance plugs give better spark to burn the Fuel much better there for producing a light increase in performance i am using splitfire triple platnium plugs in my 1991 camry 3sfe and it is also accompanied by topgun spiral wire 8.8mm leads

Old 07-28-2007, 04:57 AM

I have tried many different plugs in different vehicles over the years. I have seen very minimal difference in performance from one to another. I would look for reliability instead of performance. NGK plugs really seem to hold up well and last long in my experience. NGK will offer many different plugs pending on the application. I have had just as good of luck out of the lower end plugs vs. the upper end plugs that cost more. JMO....

Old 07-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Default OEM Plugs all the way

I was once a young sucker and bought many different style and make of spark plugs.
The stock plugs were designed by engineers for maximum heat dissipation at a specified heat range . You can get your stock plug and only sometimes will the manufacturer say in the computer what your specific heat range is. Then you can maybe play around with that number. Some people like to find their heat range and then switch to a stock brand with a similar range.

The only time I would ever use High Performance plugs is you have a high performance ignition system, your stock plug was not designed to push that much current across it's gap.

If you do want to clean and reuse your plugs you should use gasoline with a rag and ignition file/wirebrush. Always make sure the bottom electrode on the plug is filed flat with sharp edges. After all the gunk is off be sure to regap the plug, the wider the gap the less efficient your detonation will be.

I hope this clears up the confusion, I'm sure some will disagree with me, and i would enjoy hearing some experienced reviews.
Thanks

Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 PM

There are obviously some better than others...

My first pick - the NGK iridiums... depending on the engine will depend on the p/n. They work great in my car, won't have to touch them for a while though :P

If not, stick with the OEM platinum ones... they're one of the best plugs on the market too, can't go wrong with Toyota mate.

Quick Reply: performance spark plugs