Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine matters - need help urgently please

Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Default Engine matters - need help urgently please

Hello everyone,

I'm very new on this forum but I already own one Camry and now I want to get another one but I would need your help urgently because I will have to decide tomorrow morning.

I found this '99 Camry for sale with only 66K miles and I can buy it for $5600 ( low for where I live ). The young lady who is selling it leaves the country to go back to China. According to the Carfax report she is the 3rd owner but she bought the car from another friend who bought the car froma dealer.

The car look very nice in and out, especially in. This girl leaves in the city and only uses the car on weekend to go shopping so she only put on about 3000 miles since she bought the car 15 months ago. The friend whom she bought the car from also kept the car for 2 years before leaving the country ( but I can't confirm all this ).

My grest concern is that last time the engine oil was change by the new owner was 15 months ago, when she bought the car. The oil change sticker is still on the windshield. She only drove about 3000 miles in the 15 months. Now, should I be very concerned abuout sluggish oil because it hasn't been changed for 15 months?..although she only drove 3K miles?

I told her that I like to get an emmission inspection in VA ( that's were I live ) and I'll buy the car only if it passes. Please let me know if I should be worry about the oil not been changed for that long. The car looks really nice and it drives very well.

I already set too many terms and I can't add any more, so either I take is as it is or I just say no.

By the way, she doesn't even have any maintenace records from previous owner but she very young and inexperience so I honestly don't think she is trying to cheat; she just doesn't know anyhting about cars.

Any suggestion are very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Pier

Old 08-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine matters - need help urgently please

I think Nixon stated "trust but verify."

For the oil change issue, would not be too concerned just yet. Both V6 and I4 engines of this model year were included in the Toyota sludge problem (an internet search will turn up details). As such would highly recommend you or your mechanic pull off one valve cover and check for oil sludging!!!

If things look clean you should be OK.

It always make good sense to have a mechanic look over any car, tell the person you will pay for this cost. When there ask the mechanic to look under a valve cover. Easy on the I4, easy enough on the front cylinder bank for the V6, the back is much more difficult.

Sludging was caused in part due to lack of oil changes.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Simply judging by what you posted, I don't think this is a good deal at all. My comments are below the quotes.

I'm very new on this forum but I already own one Camry and now I want to get another one but I would need your help urgently because I will have to decide tomorrow morning.
Why is there a rush? Who is in the hurry...you or the seller? If it's the seller, then be very suspicious.

I found this '99 Camry for sale with only 66K miles and I can buy it for $5600 ( low for where I live ).
I would seriously question why the miles are so low on a 9 year-old car (66,000 miles divided by 9 years = 7,000 miles per year average). This is very low mileage that would have me concerned with possible odometer tampering. Does the Carfax report show you all or most of the odometer readings at all the registration renewals (or emission inspections)? If so, does it the mileage steadily increase, and never decrease, from one reading to the next?

The young lady who is selling it leaves the country to go back to China.
This may be true, but, as in in my first question about who is in the hurry, this can be a "scam" tactic designed to pressure you buy the car NOW, NOW, NOW! Decisions made in a hurry often come back to haunt later.

According to the Carfax report she is the 3rd owner but she bought the car from another friend who bought the car froma dealer.
How long did each prior owner own the car? Be very suspicious if this car was owned by any single party (except a reputable dealer) for less than a year. People who get rid of cars this quickly usually do so because of repeated or difficult/expensive problems.

The car look very nice in and out, especially in.
Looks are the least important thing, unless you're just planning to buy it to show it at car shows and not for reliableregular transportation. A car in poor mechanical condition can easily be dressed up to show really nice.

This girl leaves in the city and only uses the car on weekend to go shopping so she only put on about 3000 miles since she bought the car 15 months ago. The friend whom she bought the car from also kept the car for 2 years before leaving the country ( but I can't confirm all this ).
Again, verify the length of ownership for all prior owners on the Carfax report. Be very suspicious if you see even one short-term (i.e. less than a year) owner.

My grest concern is that last time the engine oil was change by the new owner was 15 months ago, when she bought the car. The oil change sticker is still on the windshield. She only drove about 3000 miles in the 15 months. Now, should I be very concerned abuout sluggish oil because it hasn't been changed for 15 months?..although she only drove 3K miles?
Not a big deal. Don't worry about it. This is probably the least of your worries with this car.

I told her that I like to get an emmission inspection in VA ( that's were I live ) and I'll buy the car only if it passes.
Don't just get an emission inspection (although that is certainly valuable). Get a full mechanical inspection. Have a master mechanicput it up on a lift and go over the entire car. Should cost about $100-125. Small price to pay to make sure you're not about to buy a car requiring $1000 or more in repairs.

The car looks really nice and it drives very well.
Cars with major mechanical (or electrical) problems can drive well for 15 minutes at a time without showing these issues. It's takes a keen mechanical eye to know what to look for. Get a reputable master technician mechanic to look at it.

I already set too many terms and I can't add any more, so either I take is as it is or I just say no.
Why can't you do more? Is the seller pressuring you? If so, then just walk away from the car and the deal. Trust me...you don't want this car.

By the way, she doesn't even have any maintenace records from previous owner but she very young and inexperience so I honestly don't think she is trying to cheat; she just doesn't know anyhting about cars.
Well, that may be true; but are you willing to take that chance?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:52 AM

Thank you both for your useful comments. I'll see if she let me have a mechanic check the car.
Unfurtunately I don't know any master mechanic but I think a local gas station mechanic could check few things mentioned by you.

She is kind of in a hurry to sell because she leaves in about 3 weeks, but I also feel that if she advertise the car again she will sell it very quickly for that price and I rather notmiss the oppurtunity as well, but I understand the risk and that's why I posted here for advise. A'99 Camry with that mileage goes for over $6500-$7000 in my area.

Thank you again for your help. I'll keep you posted of the outcome.

Pier

Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 AM

Thank you both for your useful comments.
You are welcome.

She is kind of in a hurry to sell because she leaves in about 3 weeks, but I also feel that if she advertise the car again she will sell it very quickly for that price and I rather notmiss the oppurtunity as well, but I understand the risk and that's why I posted here for advise. A'99 Camry with that mileage goes for over $6500-$7000 in my area.
Well, if that is true, and the only thing that concerns you is the relatively high number of months since the last oil change, then go ahead and buy it (3k miles in 15 months is only very slightly risky, IMO). However, unless you get a full mechanical inspection by a master tech that would likely reveal any significant, pending issues, then just understand that you might be looking at some big ticket items (e.g. transmission problems, engine (sludge) problems, emissions problems) in the foreseeable future. It sounds like you already know this risk and are willing to accept it for the price that you're paying.

Thank you again for your help. I'll keep you posted of the outcome.
You are welcome. Yes, please do let us know how it turns out. I would be interested to hear how it goes for you.