Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Radiator reviews?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Default Radiator reviews?

look like I need a new radiator...

any thoughts on the quality of the brands avaialable at the parts stores?

Autozone- made by Spectra

O'reilly's - made by Murray

Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Spectra gets mixed reviews ranging from good to terrible.

The only radiator obtained from O'reilly (used to shucks here) began leaking badly after after a few months. The replacement is still going along OK after a few years.

If buying a radiator get one with a lifetime warranty and keep the receipt. Make sure the receipt part number matches the one on the radiator for the one you purchase and all replacements (if required).

Old 01-13-2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho

The only radiator obtained from O'reilly (used to shucks here) began leaking badly after after a few months. The replacement is still going along OK after a few years.

If buying a radiator get one with a lifetime warranty and keep the receipt. Make sure the receipt part number matches the one on the radiator for the one you purchase and all replacements (if required).
thanks man!

that helps alot...the spectra has the lifetime warranty

Old 05-29-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho

If buying a radiator get one with a lifetime warranty and keep the receipt. Make sure the receipt part number matches the one on the radiators for the one you purchase and all replacements (if required).
True enough for the mixed reviews..My spectra radiator crapped on me again. Probably because I was goin' 90 on the freeway last night yet I never hit anything hard. My car is lowered and has front lowering springs and eibachs in the back. This is the 3rd radiator I got from spectra at autozone. I am thinking of taking it back or exchange it and don't use it anymore.. I am eying on ebay cx radiator...

Last edited by armandjones82; 05-30-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Also stay away from CSF copper brass radiators, tend to leak. Fix one leak, another pops up. One ends up re-soldering every seam on the radiator.

I suggest you buy local, one having a life time warranty.

If not ask the shipper to pack the item beyond its original factory packaging. The factory packaging is good enough for bulk shipping to the reseller but not for UPS/FedEx which tend to bounce the product around.

The result is leaks.