Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

Replacing crank pulley on '93 Camry. How to hold flywheel in place?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Default Replacing crank pulley on '93 Camry. How to hold flywheel in place?

Hello Camry gurus. I'm attempting to replace the harmonic balancer and oil seal on a '93 Camry V6 automatic. Could anyone tell me the best way to hold the flywheel in place so I can undo the rank bolt? I can't find an access hole somewhere for jamming a screwdriver in. Should I be removing the starter? then what?
Thanks in advance
Tarek

Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Replacing crank pulley on '93 Camry. How to hold flywheel in place?

The pulley face should have a couple of small threaded holes. Toyota has a special tool that bolts onto the face using these holes but you can make one out of a board.

Drill a couple of holes in a board to match the holes in the pulley plus a hole to access the pulley bolt. Make the board long enough that it will bind up on the chassis or ground when the pulley rotates. Not sure the size of the bolt holes, maybe 10 or 8 mm.

Bolt the board to the pulley and let it bind up as you remove the crank bolt.

Or get a long breaker bar and socket the fits the bolt. Install socket and bar on the bolt with the bar hitting the ground and bump the starter. The crank turns CW thus adjust the bar position accordingly and make sure you disconnect the ign system so the engine does not start.

I don't recommend doing this but many others think it works great.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the response. I too don't like the starter bump method because it can't be used for tightening things back up.

I wouldn't mind buying the Toyota tool if it's not crazy expensive. I'm guessing the dealer would have it, but if I have a part number, may be I can get it elsewhere for less $$?

The threaded holes in the face of the pulley are 8mm. I thought of making a metal tool with holes aligned with these threaded holes, but thought the torque is too high for 8 mm bolts to handle. But now that I know the 8mm bolts would hold up, I can get more creative.

This does bring up an important question: Torque spec for the pulley bolt.

I'd be interested in buying a low cost repair manual if such a thing existed. This way I can hopefully turn from asking a lot of questions to answering them

Thanks a bunch!
Tarek

Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 AM

tool you need is sst 09213-54015 and 09330-00021. crankshaft pulley should get 159 ftlbs (215 nm)

Old 08-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Default Similar Rig on '01 Camry LE

I too am removing the crankshaft pulley nut. I am using a 3/4' thick plank of red oak hardwood to bind up the crankshaft and an adjustable length breaker bar. The plank binds the pulley by bolting onto the two tapped holes in the crankshaft pulley, or at least it tried to... on the '01 these holes accept a 6mm bolt and I very quickly bent one and sheared the other clean off. (Like a dummy I was using only 8.8 strength bolts.) So now I have *got* to get the pulley off so I can get the wasted bit of bolt out, or never change the T belt again.

So now the rig binds the pulley with 3/8" grade 8 standard bolts that wedge between the 4 spokes in the cast-iron crankshaft pulley. (This is actually my 4th generation rig, gen 2 warped grade 5 3/8" bolts, gen 3 the red oak cracked at the bolt hole. This time I centered the hole better.)

As the picture shows I am patiently banging with a 5lb hammer (See picture). I have a feeling though that even this rig is about to break. That is why I haven't just started torquing the full length breaker bar like I have in the previous 3 attempts. Any ideas? I have been continually applying PB Blaster for about a full day now. I have heard one can bind the crankshaft by jamming a screw driver in the flywheel. Chilton's manual has this instruction but then leaves you hanging on where the flywheel cover is. Anybody know how to get the flywheel cover off? Please help, thanks y'all.

Attached Thumbnails  Replacing crank pulley on '93 Camry. How to hold flywheel in place?-img_3691_sm.jpg  
Old 08-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Default Found the flywheel cover

I had to remove the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold, there's a big triangle shaped joint with three bolts clearly visible just below the manifold in front of the block. Also some of the support mounts for the exhaust came out, but I got the flywheel cover off. The flywheel cover is between the engine oil pan and the transmission oil pan. Luckily, neither pan had to be dropped, but like I said the exhaust was in the way. Once open, I wedged a large flat head sideways into the teeth and that stabilized the crankshaft and the crankshaft nut came right off. Some numbskull had loaded it up with lock-tite, a big krusty glob of it came out with the nut.

Now I can't get the crankshaft pulley off, there's no telling what kind of adhesive is holding that one on. I'm trying gentle pry bar applications but it doesn't seem to be working very well. I'm going to try to extract the broken bolt from the crankshaft face and then maybe I can use those to pop the pulley.