Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Speedmeter blank/transmission revs

Old 10-21-2014, 05:54 AM
Default Speedmeter blank/transmission revs

Hello there. I have a 98 camry with 111,000 miles on it. Recently while I was driving the speedmeter dropped to 0 and the little screen that tell you the milage went out also. When this happened the transmission reved up and went down. I got to work, shut it off, turned it back on and it was working again. It did this on off thing several times throughout the week until I couldn't take it anymore and my husband put a new speed sensor on. It worked great for 3 weeks until yesterday when the speedmeter stopped working while driving again. When I got home I put the car in park to open our gate when I got back in it was on again. I'm so confused a about what's going on. Is there anything else this problem could be other than the speed sensor??? I think my husband changed the one on or near the transmission. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

Old 10-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Could be the speedometer circuit on the instrument cluster is bad. Electrical components going bad can act up.

Suggest reading the posts in the link below: The issue of a blank speedo screen AND trans shift problems appear to be a ceramic resonator in the speedo circuit. Some of the Toyota models in the post are not Camry, but their speedo circuit is about the same.

Toyota Camry Questions - 1999 Camry Speedometer/Odometer not working, transmission slipping - CarGurus

If the circuit can't be fixed, look for another cluster.

Also take note if the problem occurs when inside car temps are excessively hot or cold. Faulty circuits can also act up based on temperature.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Could be the speedometer circuit on the instrument cluster is bad. Electrical components going bad can act up.

Suggest reading the posts in the link below: The issue of a blank speedo screen AND trans shift problems appear to be a ceramic resonator in the speedo circuit. Some of the Toyota models in the post are not Camry, but their speedo circuit is about the same.

Toyota Camry Questions - 1999 Camry Speedometer/Odometer not working, transmission slipping - CarGurus

If the circuit can't be fixed, look for another cluster.

Also take note if the problem occurs when inside car temps are excessively hot or cold. Faulty circuits can also act up based on temperature.
Okay we will try that! Thank you!

Old 10-26-2014, 12:05 PM

We replaced the speedmeter cluster...so guess we'll have to see what that does. Only prob is my car only had about 111,000 miles on it and now since we used a used part from our local pick n pull it says it has 193,000. I don't like that but as long as it works I'll get over it.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with the repairs. You could swap memory chips on the speedo's and with this the odometer readings. Do you know anyone who is good a soldering.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:40 AM

That's a wonderful idea! I'll mention it to my husband and see what he wants to do. At this point it's still working properly so as long as it continues to work I probably won't mess with it. I have all intentions of driving this car until the wheels fall off lol...but i still will see if that's something my husband could do cause looking at 111,000 just felt better then looking at 193,000 (:

Old 10-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

If only 111,000 miles then a lot of driving is still left! Suggest keeping some kind of record of the speedo change in case you sell the car.

If the car has an auto trans and the trans fluid has never been changed, suggest changing it all plus differential fluid (if engine is a 4-cylinder engine). No need for flushing chemicals, just replace old withe new.

You can also draw out and replace the power steering fluid in the reservoir between drives until the fluid is clear again.

The above will help the trans and power steering system last as long as the engine which can go 300K+ if properly maintained.