Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Timimng belt issue, noisy valves

Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 AM
Default Timimng belt issue, noisy valves

It is my son's 1999 Camry 2.2 engine. He had the timing belt (going bad) jumped time. a notch or 2. The belt was loose and and chaffed a 1/8 to 1/4 inch off the width of the belt. I don't know how it kept running. When he brought it to me the valves were noisy. I proceeded to put a new timing belt along with tensioners and water pump. The valves are still noisy when started up. Could the valve train have been damaged when he drove (out of time)
Car is a 99, 2.2 engine 217,000 miles It has been a good car but I don't want to throw anymore money at this point about $150 and a whole weekend of my time.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Odds are very small the engine was damaged because of this.

You sure it is the valves as injectors can be noisy.

Does the noise go away after the engine runs for a time and if so how long after engine is started?

When was the oil filter changed? The filter could be allowing the oil to drain back into the engine due to a bad drain back valve. The result being the oil pressure needs to build up.

If you are up to it, remove the valve cover. Inspect valve train for oil sludging. This can result in low oil pressure as the oil pickup screen and engine oil passages plug up.

If clean check valve clearances engine cold. The valve train uses shims thus you can only adjust them with the proper shim and tools. However you can determine if the valve clearance is grossly out of tolerance.

Intake 0.007-0.011 inch.
Exhaust 0.011-0.015 inch.

Use a gasket sealer when reinstalling cover to prevent leakage and be sure to repeat torquing the large nuts until full value is maintained.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:51 PM

Thanks Joey, I will check all of those. It did need an oil changed to start with but put it off with all the other issues. It is definitely the valve noise, it's not too noisy when you start it up but gets noisy after 60 seconds and if you rev it a little it quiets down a little. It is now saying it will be warm enough this weekend to try some more stuff, I hate working on cars when it's in the 20-30's. When he got the car (about 60000 miles ago) I changed the valve cover gasket,(even bought a socket to do it) timing belt, water pump, plugs and wires etc. I might even try to get someone that knows about checking the valve clearance.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

If you can change all those parts you can check valve clearance. Checking procedure is no different that conventional engine.

Pick up a Haynes shop manual for around $20 or search internet for files on this engine, plus checking clearance. Model is 5S-FE.

If the noise never quiets down check oil pressure. Could be low pressure caused by sludging as stated before, oil pump or oil pump pressure relief valve.

Did the engine ever run quietly?

Last edited by toyomoho; 03-05-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:58 AM

Yes at one time the engine did run quiet, I changed the oil & filter it did help a little but its still noisy. When a rev it up a little 1500 -2000 rpm it quiets down. I did not have time to do much this weekend, son had to buy another car, his is one he and girlfriend share so I have been without a car. If I get it fixed they with both have one. Thanks for all your help, I will keep you updated, I need to get an oil pressure tester to check out the oil pump, anyone know who has free loan-a-tool on one?
Thanks
Chris

Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Try calling local autoparts stores such as PepBoys, Autozone, Orielly, etc. for loaner tools.