Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Valet key opens trunk!--> 2007 V6Camry LE

Old 03-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Default Valet key opens trunk!--> 2007 V6Camry LE

Been busy reading the owners manual like crazy and need everyone's insight. My new 2007 Camry LE with V6 came with a total of three (3) keys...2 with wireless and the remaining valet key which is NOT suppose to open either glovebox or trunk. Can anyone try using their valet key to open a completely locked Camry via the driver side door then once inside use the trunk latch (located on the driver side left door sill) to open the trunk? Did Toyota not think this through properly or did I just find a undocumented means of using a valet key to gain access to the tunk for access everyone's secured valuables?
Can anyonewho has had a former Toyota extended warrantylet me know how long it took to obtain paperwork from Toyota once they purchased their extended warranty? I got the original 1-piece sales literature from the dealship with limited verbage but would like to know minute details such as do they provide road towing?, loaner ridesduringa weekend especially if the Camy is in the shop for a protracted stay, etc.
Finally,if and when the 3yr/36k warranty lapses and you get a damaged tire requiring a complete tire replacement does this mean if the tire repair facility somehow damages one of the air presure sensors and a replacement is required, do we have to eat the cost of bringing the vehicle to a Toyota dealership getting rid of the offending air pressure dash light since the replaced tire might or might not have it's original "personized" sensor intact. Sounds simple but in New York City I believewe will failinspection if there exists either a DTC or any vehicle dash indicator. Tahnks everyone!....

Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 AM
Default RE: Valet key opens trunk!--> 2007 V6Camry LE

you're right.. valet is kind of pointless for the trunk. but even if the trunk release was taken away.. anyone could enter the trunk through the folding back seats..so i quess the trunk isn't secure place to store anyways..

and as far as tire question..i would think if the tire shop that damaged the tire pressure sensor would be liable for the repair...

Old 04-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

alright first off the vallet keys are NOT supposed to unlock the glove box (after the box has been LOCKED with one of the 2 master keys). The vallet key is NOT supposed to be able to lock or unlock the trunk.

Toyota did think the system through because when you lock the trunk with the master key from the outside (you turn the lock to the left which will disable the inside trunk release lever). Then behind the two rear split folding seats are levers that will lock and disable the unlocking mechanism within the cabin. So if you lock the trunk with the key and lock the latches on the rear seat, the only way into the trunk is...well you can imagine it yourself.
If the vallet key is turning any of the trunk/glove locks, take it back to the dealer please.

So what happend with this tire issue? Airpressure sensor damaged? Or did you not reset the air pressure sensor? There should be a button under the dash...under the steering column, near your knees or shin area to reset the air pressure warning.
I don't know if the 07 camry has actual air pressure sensors on the wheels OR if they just use the abs system to monitor tire spin rates to tell if a tire is low on pressure compared to the others.

Getting new rims will definately affect a tire pressure sensor system if it is mounted on the tire itself, but it may also trigger the abs speed sensor if the wheels are different size, spinning at different speeds than the factory tires. Either way ,check the manual to see how to reset the sensor.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 PM

No, the tire pressure sensors are actually the ugly looking valve stems. If you change wheels, you need to make sure and tell the tire folks that you have TPMS so they can undo the sensors and install them on the new wheels instead of installing regular valve stems.