General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 camry a/c issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Default 01 camry a/c issues

first off, i'd like to say that i'm a new guy to ur fourm and i'd like to say, its very nice. i have been looking for a camry fourm for a long long time now. i'd also like to say that the 2001 camry XLE V6 i will be working on and troubleshooting is not mine, its my mothers. i personally own a 2010 Toyota Yaris (hence my name) and call yarisworld.com my home

over the years of owing this toyota not alot of problems. it has just under 300,000km on it and only need to do oil changes, 2 tranny fluid changed and 1 coolant flush. (tires and breaks also) i also recently replaced the gaskete between tranny and engine due to a leak that game out of no where and began to flow oil. (i personally think my mom hit sometihng...)

next on the list of to-do's is the a/c system. now the biggest problem with this is i have never done an ac system. also i do not know what the proper charge for the system is. the compressor is making a constant clicking noise but it does still blow cold air. is this a sign its on its way out or should i dirrect attention elseware? is it as simple as pulling out old one, putting in new one, charging it up and calling it a day?

i know it may seem like alot so fast but here is one more issue..... i need to figure it out and fix it this weekend as my mom is very busy and is away this weekend.

thanks alot for anyhelp, and any sudgestions are better then what i have so please feel free to throw out some ideas.

--Jeff--

Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes the A/C clutch will make a rattling noise. Determine if it the compressor or the clutch.

The A/C system may have a sight glass on the drier unit. This is a port hole that allows viewing the actual Freon inside the system.

The port hole should be clear with compressor off. When the compressor starts bubbles will form but quickly clear up. The same for when the compressor turns off.

The port hole can also be clear if too little fluid is present thus watch the operation with compressor cycling on and off. Make sure there are no bubbles when the compressor is working on an extended basis.

Changing the compressor requires vacuuming the A/C system to remove moisture. If the A/C system is worked on it is recommended to change the drier.