General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Camry shift interlock

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Default 03 Camry shift interlock

I'm a newbie here looking for some help. The shift interlock no longer works on my 03 Camry, but sort of in reverse to what I find searching other forums. My shifter can be shifted into gear with or without the key in and without touching the brake pedal. In other words it doesn't lock in Park anymore for some reason. My brake lights still function normally. This car was involved in a mild collision on the drivers side rear quarter panel recently. I don't know if there are any electronic components in that area or not. Help please!

Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Default RE: 03 Camry shift interlock

Maybe the pin that drops into the hole that locks the gear selector snapped. Do here a click when you step on the brake when it is in park?

Old 10-22-2008, 05:50 AM

Yes there is a click coming from the brake switch when the pedal is pressed. And since my brake lights work you've likely pin pointed the problem for me. Any idea how to get at the pin? Removing the console looks difficult at best. Thanks

Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

This systems typically have an electric solenoid the moves a pin to lock and unlock the shifter column.

Remove the covers around the shifter console and determine if the pin is stuck. Look at the area typically near the Park lettering on the console. There should be a tab, slot or removable cover that allows access to the shifter lock override button. Pressing the button with a screwdriver or ign key overrides the lock. The owners manual should point out the location of the override button. The shift lock device should be in this area.

Typically when the system fails the shifter does NOT unlock, requiring the override be used. Thus either the solenoid is on all the time (not likely) or it is stuck, damaged, etc.

Typically when removing the console cover you need to start by removing the panel area around the shifter that may pop out. Then if a center glove box look for screws on the bottom, then the out side of console cover both front and back. The console cover would then lift up exposing the shfter mechanism.

Once you find all the screws, etc removing the cover should not be difficult.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:01 AM

the same problem in my Camry 2004
and I will try Joey hint.