General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 01:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

'04 Camry brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Default '04 Camry brakes

Just bought this '04 Camry bout 3 weeks ago. Brake pedal seems to go too far down. No lights or codes. (I have a scanner). Called the dealer & he says maybe rear brakes need adjusting. (I thought they were self-adj). Anyway, Sunday, the wife was driving it and almost got in a wreck. She started to pull out into an intersection and someone was coming. She stomped the brake, it went to the floor and the engine died. Fortunately, the guy swerved and missed her. I'm just wondering if a brake adjustment will fix it. The 1500 down payment strapped me!
Thanks

Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Default RE: '04 Camry brakes

Whats the mileage? Whens the last time you had a recent brake job?Does it pull or shake when pressing the brake pedal?

Id start of with a good inspection of the brake system. Make sure the pads are wearing even. Check the thickness of thepads and rotors,Brake fluidshould befull. Rotors are in good shape ect. Im not sure what model camry you have but if you have drums then im guessing its and le. They should be check if not done so lately cleaned and adjusted. Most repair shops will do this for 60-120$ at most. It cant hurt to have the whole brake system checked while your there. However i wouldnt imagine this being the culprit of your problem, Id check the brake booster and if your feeling brave and have help bleed the calipers. More than likely if you just bought this car they replaced the pads and didnt bleed the calipers. That or the new pads might not have yet seated to the rotors. Maybe abs?

If you just bought it take it back to where you got it. They should be inclined to fix the problem if it hasnt been a long time sense you bought the car!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:03 AM

ORIGINAL: OldGuy
Brake pedal seems to go too far down.Called the dealer & he says maybe rear brakes need adjusting.
Not sure who you talked to but disc brakes don't need adjusting as they are SELF ADJUSTING. Do you still trust this dealer?

She stomped the brake, it went to the floor and the engine died. I'm just wondering if a brake adjustment will fix it.
NO! You probablly had a catastophic failure somewhere. Brake line may have blown, master cylinder could have failed. I don't think the brake booster vac line blew (would cause engine to stall) as you would still have pedal but it would be hard to push. An04 should have a low brake fluid warning light so ifthe master is still full with fluid (should do visual check) I'd say you need a new master. Seems premature for an 04 master to fail like that. Did you buy fromdealer or private party?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:38 AM

#1 Just got the car less than 3 weeks ago from a Toyota dealer
#2 It has drum brakes on the rear and disc on the front
#3 Mileage is 51K
#4 No warning lights showing and I hooked up my OBD2 scanner and get zero codes.

Last night I drove this car in a drizzling rain, just to check the ABS out. I found a nice straight empty street, and tromped on the brake. The ABS did what it was supposed to, I heard the roar as it pulsated and I came to a straight stop.

When we test-drove the car, I thought the brake pedal seemed to be low to the floor. These are NOT the adjustable pedals. I told the salesman to hang on, I was gonna test the brakes. He did and I did. SCREEEECH. So they do work, just seem to be low. Wife is a lot shorter than I am. But no clue as to why the engine died.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 AM

Are you sure you have drums on the rear for an 2004? The parking bark is probably a drum but the stopping brake should be a disc. Ever if the rear is drum they will have self adjusters that work when you reverse and brake. For 51K there should be no problems unless the previous owner really abused the brakes. Did you ask yourself why your wife's foot went to the floor and she could not stop, and almost got into an accident? Something is wrong. Since you bought this from the dealer I would take it back to them and say they sold you an unsafe vehicle and that they should fix the brakes NO CHARGE. Not sure what your laws are in your state for buying used from dealer but it wouldn't hurt to check your rights. Dealers are usually held to stricter standards.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Well, it's going to the dealer today. I already talked to the service manager and he's expecting us. I'll post the results.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:31 PM

Brakes all cleaned up and adjusted. Got lotsa pedal now.
Thanks to all for the help.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 AM

Firstly discussed with dealer.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:14 AM

just to make sure for those who will read this from now on.

brakes in Camrys are not adjustable. They are ALL self adjustable, including parking brake. Rear end brakes look like drums ones, but it's because of the parking brake assembly. They are still disk brakes. Parking brake can be RELEASED by actuator adjustment, for rear disk removal. Also, rear end has proportionate valve, to ensure that all 4 brakes work in synch.

As of what happened.. It looked like failing master sylinder. If dealer took it in, with a spongy pedal (no offense, but I always slice in a half what a female says she did or thought happened), "adjusted" and pedal is back, they most likely simply bled the brakes. For 2004, 9 yrs car, roughly 110 000 miles (?) it is quite possible, if brake fluid was never changed.

OG, beware. If there was a problem, causing air in the brake system, it will come back. Thing about used cars is - no one sells GOOD cars. They are keepers.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
just to make sure for those who will read this from now on.

brakes in Camrys are not adjustable. They are ALL self adjustable, including parking brake. Rear end brakes look like drums ones, but it's because of the parking brake assembly. They are still disk brakes. Parking brake can be RELEASED by actuator adjustment, for rear disk removal. Also, rear end has proportionate valve, to ensure that all 4 brakes work in synch.

As of what happened.. It looked like failing master sylinder. If dealer took it in, with a spongy pedal (no offense, but I always slice in a half what a female says she did or thought happened), "adjusted" and pedal is back, they most likely simply bled the brakes. For 2004, 9 yrs car, roughly 110 000 miles (?) it is quite possible, if brake fluid was never changed.

OG, beware. If there was a problem, causing air in the brake system, it will come back. Thing about used cars is - no one sells GOOD cars. They are keepers.
people come to this forums in needed of help WRONG INFO IS NOT HELPING THEM
so that bean said

on a 2004 Camry toyota offer a 4 wheel disc brake system and a front disc brake and rear drum system , in a drum brake system the rear brakes are design to self adjust when brakes are applied wile driving in reverse not many driver drive a lot on reverse. so this will cause a low pedal or excessive brake pedal travel , manually adjusting the rear brake drum system will fix this condition . if new rear shoes are install and improper adjustment was done during installation it will cause the same problem , when new shoes are install its recommended to readjust system after the first 1000 miles , AIR doesn't get inside brake system by coincidence , brake fluid goes bad in few years (3-5 ) or when brake system is over heated , bad master cylinder will cause the pedal to sink during a hard brake or when foot is rested on brake pedal , it will not cause a spongy pedal.

Quick Reply: '04 Camry brakes