General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Camry. Airbag Warn Light. Code B1826. Dealer Wants To Replace Entire Pass. Seat!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Default 06 Camry. Airbag Warn Light. Code B1826. Dealer Wants To Replace Entire Pass. Seat!!!

06 Camry, ~130K miles.

So the Airbag warning light in my Camry has been coming on (and staying on) intermittently, but would turn off if I turned off the car and restarted it. May take a cycle or two, but it would turn off.

Took it to the dealer, they isolated to the passenger side seat. They cleaned contacts, reseated connectors etc.. and the light stayed off for a while. By the way, there appears to be no relationship to anyone sitting in the passenger seat, or not, at the time.

Happened again maybe 3 weeks later. Same thing was done at the dealer.

Took it in today with light on, they pulled the code B1826 (Description: OPEN IN SIDE SQUIB (P SEAT SIDE) CIRCUIT)

The dealer is now saying the only move is to replace the entire Passenger Seat... at a cost of (just for the part) $2700!!!

Thats not going to happen, so I'm looking for alternative ideas. The dealer did say that they were looking for "used/certified seats" but I'm not holding my breath there.

I can't imagine that my only card to play... anyone have any ideas?

This is my wifes car (and kids) so no airbags isnt an option.

According to the documentation I got from the tech at the dealer, the Detecting Condition is:

The airbag sensor assy center receives an open circuit signal in the side squib (P seat side) circuit for 2 seconds.
Side squib (P side seat) malfunction
Airbag sensor assy center malfunction

The "Trouble Area" information:

Front RH seat assy (Side squib (P seat side))
Airbag sensor assy center
Floor wire No. 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

The problem appears to be with the airbag itself, not the wiring plug.

Ask the dealer if the airbag is sold separately or a complete seat needs to be purchased. This could be the reason the dealer states the seat needs replacing.

Inquirer at third party shops that are set up to remove and replace air bags. The airbag may be able to be replaced if you can find one. There is a large aftermarket in airbags pulled from salvaged cars. A third party shop may be able to find one and install for a cheaper price. Or find a complete used seat.

Note: Find a reputable shop as counterfeit airbags are not uncommon.

If you need to buy a new seat there are Toyota dealers the sell parts online at discounts of up to 30%. The dealer would most likely not be interested in installing this seat but a third party shop may. Seats are not difficult to replace but once the new seat is in place the airbag system would need to be reset by someone with the right equipment.

Start checking around.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:00 PM

Has anyone else dealt with this issue and/or has the OP solved the issue. I really need some help/advice!

Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't but I would take Joey's advice. I would call around to body shops (that you trust) because I'm sure they see the most deployed airbags out of anyone. My next move would be from a salvage yard. Kind of a gamble but you would probably pay only a couple hundred bucks as opposed to thousands.