General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

07 camry Clacking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Default 07 camry Clacking sound

hello everybody i have a problem with my camry 07 with 64,000 miles, recently starting doing a clacking popping sound when turning left of right. the weird this is it only does it when im backing up and i make a sharp turn. when the car makes a turn on the street i dont hear it anymore is only when backing out. i cant seen to figure out. I already check the VC joint cause that was the most possible reason why, but they look in pretty good shape no leaks no cracking nothing. does anybody else in here might now what could be wrong? suspension maybe ? i dont know.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:53 PM

Strut mounts bad maybe?

Old 07-17-2014, 02:16 PM

how do i check for that just to make sure.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

If it's your strut mounts or strut bearings, you should be able to duplicate the sound by bouncing the car.
I also replied to your other post. I think it's the CV shaft(s).

Old 07-18-2014, 12:04 PM

well if thats the case i dont think is the mount or bearings. because when i bounce the car i dont heard anything. The weird think is like i said it only makes that sound when backing out of a parking space. if i park the card facing forward and i turn to either direction it does not make the sound ??

Old 07-18-2014, 12:07 PM

yes the clacking does match the speed of the car. ill do the test on the empty parking lot like you suggested , see what i find out.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Out of curiosity, do you use your parking brake? Sometimes they can make this sound but it is usually all the time, not when just turning.
Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:16 AM

yes i do use the parking break. even if i don't use it it makes no deference still makes the sound.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Did you try the parking lot-tight turn test? I'm still leaning towards CV's.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:51 PM

ok i just had time off to do the test , this is what i found out. i did the tight turn parking lot test and i noticed it only makes the sound when turning the left. it sounds clearly coming from the left cv axel. no matter which way i turn it ,the noise is always coming from the left side . i also remember a guy saying on youtube that when making a turn and you heard the sound turning right it was the left one that was bad, because all the weight of the vehicle is on the opposite side but i did the test in reverse though because otherwise i dont hear anything. what do you think ? im glad is the driver side one because the left side has a bearing right in the middle of the shaft which i heard is a pain to get off lol.

Quick Reply: 07 camry Clacking sound