General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 camry Clacking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Kinda of strange that it only happens in reverse. You tried the test going forward and didn't hear anything?
If you know that it is the left one, then change it.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:43 AM

yes i did try going forward and nothing strange right.
well do you have a prefer brand i can choose , i have heard a lot of stories about people getting a lot of vibration between 15-25 mph after replacing CV's. i would like to go OEM but the left side is 341 dollars i would buy that with no problem but i would also try to save a few bucks lol. i heard raxles is a good place. any other recommendations?

Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Checking for CV noise in reverse is common. If a CV joint, the noise will get worse and start to occur in forward. Also check for clunk or vibration when accelerating.

There are a LOT of junk rebuilt axles sold where a rebuild is considered replacing the grease and boots, not actual worn parts. If wanting to save money try to find an aftermarket new axle.

Cordone at one time made decent low cost NEW axles (check Rockauto.com). Suggest staying away from rebuilt axles especially NAPA of which have had VERY poor experiences.

Toyota sells rebuilt axles but have no experience with them.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:38 PM

i have noticed all aftermarket CV's dont have the damper thing in the middle some kinda weight i guess. i was wondering if thats why everybody reports vibration on acceleration? what you guys think. look at #6 in this picture Name:  F806060_zpsb5ace098.gif
Views: 301
Size:  30.1 KB

Old 07-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Good question.

Donuts dampen vibration, typically high frequency which can over time damage bearings and CV joints. Experts state if a new axle came without one it does not need it.

Have noticed many after market axles used thicker drive shafts which may be one reason no dampener.

As to what to do? If the old and new shaft are not the same diameter may have a problem installing it. At minimum this would require taking the axle apart. Then were to locate the dampener as Toyota lists a specific location on their axles.

Have never bother to add the dampener to replacement axles.

Also look into EMPI/EMIRE axles.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 AM

Ok thank you for your advice I'll replace the Axel next weekend I'll let you know how it goes

Old 08-10-2014, 12:22 PM

ok i did the job everything went smooth replace the cv shaft and the noise is gone. i have one problem now , when i was taking the CV shaft i damage the oil seal that goes inside the transmission, went to the dealer ship and bought it and put the new seal on there. i finish the job around 1 Pm in the afternoon drove the car around i few miles and no problem. after waking up this morning and looking under the car i noticed a little bit of transmission oil in the floor i was afraid that was gonna happen. i did fill the transmission with fresh oil but i think i put a little bit too much back on there, would overfilling the transmission cause the transmission to leak? or is it normal after installing a new CV shaft and would go away in a few days?

Old 08-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Not normal.

Look under car for leaking at axle seal area.

Remove diff fill plug and let access drain out.

If changing seal again. When installing shaft, make sure it is siding into diff carrier (aligned) before ramming it home. Repeat if required but don't get impatient and start banging away with the shaft.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 PM

Ok This is the deal after close inspection I noticed that there is about 1/4 gap between the cv joint and the transmission . I don't recall seeing such a big gap there. I could clearly see I groove where the cv shaft dust shield I guess is called was touching the tranmission case, but now there is a gap there could it be that the cv shaft is not all the way in?. I order a new seal just in case I mess this one one again . I'll do this job on Saturday I'll keep you posted see what happens. By the way this is the driver side is does not have the carrier bearing in the middle like the passenger side does.

Last edited by darkfreelife; 08-12-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the shaft is not all the way in. Having a new seal on hand is a wise decision. I would loosen axle nut and reset the axle and then drive that axle nut home with an impact wrench. Of course, don't get crazy with it

Quick Reply: 07 camry Clacking sound