General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Default 07 Camry oil consumption

We bought a new 07 Camry in August of 2006. The last time we took it in for an oil change we had noticed the oil was low. My husband had also noticed that when I started the car in the morning a puff of smoke would come out the back. There is no oil leaking on our driveway or in our garage. However, the car was a quart low when we took it in for the oil change. We have always had the oild changed at our dealer. And have faithfully followed the recommendations. The service manager noted on our account that there was a concern and that the oil was low. He told me to bring the car back every 1000 miles and they would check the oil level. Well, the first time we brought it in after the oil change it was a half a quart low. He filled it up and told us to come back again in 1000 miles. Well today I took the car back in. I was over 1000 miles because my scheduled is pretty packed. Anyway, again today it was nearly a quart low. The service manager told me I had to bring it back again in 1000 miles and if it was low again he would make a service request with Toyota and find out what they would/could do. The car now has 28,000 miles on it. Is this normal??? He is telling me that it is normal to use oil between oil changes. We don't agree. Is this normal protocol for Toyota to be so un-caring? We are now beginning to wonder if they are even going to do anything. Any input/suggestions/ideas? Thanks so much.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 07 Camry oil consumption

Do you know what specific model engine you have? Does the car have a V6 engine (more then one V6 engine model was offered) or 4 cylinder (only 1 model offered).

Is the cloud coming out the tail pipe during cold starts water vapor (normal), oil or unburned gas. You should be able to smell the differance.

Are you stating the engine requires 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles to bring it back to the full mark?

Old 05-01-2008, 05:12 PM

I have a 07 Camry V6 with 10,000 mile and never used any oil between changeing it every 3,000 miles

Rx Bruce

Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM

I wouldn't get too upset with Toyota or the dealer yet. The dealer needs to document the oil burning and rate. Then he'll have something concrete to take to Toyota. Your rate of loss for a non-leaking engine isNOT normal. Mine looses nothing for 3000mi and I would expect yours to to the same, especially when so new - unless you had an engine problem you did not report to Toyota. Play along for now, get documentation and keep records. Be firm but polite.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 AM

hi, I have the same problem with my 07 camry Le 4 cyl. low oil. Dealer always change my @ 5000 mile using Mobil 1 Fully Syn. with oem oil filter. To this day they don't know what wrong.
Please let me know what is the outcome of this. I still have warranty on this car and I don't like it when the stealership playing with me saying it is normal.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-29-2008, 03:38 PM

Well from what I understand some engines burn synthetic oil at higher mileage (100k) but that doesnt seem to be the case here.
Oddly enough, you should check out ForumsForums.com and post in the General open area. There are a few folks that own repair shops.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:44 PM

I have the same situation. I have the 2008 2.4 SE and I Used the recommended 0W-30 Synthetic and ended up losing some somewhere. I know synthetic is supposed to be less affected by heat than standard oil. I would be really interested in what you find.

OOOPS>.....I meant to say 0W-20

Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 PM

I have a 2007 camry with the 4cyl. I changed the factory fill at 2000 miles with mobil 500 clean 5w20. I then changed at 5000 with castrol gtx 5w20. I have used castrol gtx 5w20 every 5000 since then. The car burns no oil that I can tell. I have seen many cars that burn maybe a quart between oil changes even when new but that seems to be a very high rate of consumption. I would try a conventional oil and see if that makes a difference. I know a buch on here are going to be die hard sythetic fans but I just cannot see the value in it unless you are doing extended intervals or live in an extreme cold climate. I have worked in the service industry for 15 yrs. I have seen many a engine tore down running all different kinds of oil. There has been very little difference in the engines I have seenbetween dino and syn. oils.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM

I have a 2007 Camry SE 4cyl and am having the same issue. The last time I went in for an oil change...about 100 miles before the 5k mark mine was just about out of oil. A couple of days before going in I notice if I had to break somewhat hard the oil light was coming on. I have always had oil changes done at the dealership, every 5k miles. I now have to report in for a level check every 1k miles. I just did my first check today and was down a quart. The dealership also told me if it continues to be low they would request that a Toyota Technician come to check the car. I'll try to keep you all posted with my results.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:19 AM

Hmm...I have an 05 2.4 with 120+k , always have used synthetic sense 40k ....doesnt burn any oil at all that ive noticed. always changed 4-5k intervals... I use 5w30 castrol syntec and always seems to keep the engine clean.

Perhaps if enough customers point this problem area out toyota will issue a recall, but highly unlikely they will, these post remind me of the 2000-2002 1zzfe celica engine issue which had the same issue everyone was burning a quart or more a week, ended up being some seals but toyota just ended up correcting the problem and never issued a recall.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worse is all i can say

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption