General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:29 AM

I recently bought a 2006 RAV4 with the 2.4L with 55k miles and its burning 1 Quart per 1k miles, I took it to the dealer and they said it is within the Toyota tolerance, but they are doing a oil consumption test to document it and turn the results over to Toyota to see if they will do anything about it. My friend owns a garage and said this is not normal, he looked up a TSB on his maintenance computer for this motor and Toyota has changed the pt# for the short block, probably because they redesigned the block because they know there is a problem. I have owned many Toyotas over the last 25 years, all with over 70k miles on them when I bought them and over 150k when I sold them and none of them burned this much oil, this is not normal and Toyota had better step up and fix this problem or they will (judging by the amount of people on the web with this problem) be loseing alot of future customers, which I don't think they can afford with their track record over the last few years.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by crys0501
I just got an oil change two weeks ago & oil light flashed on yesterday. Dealer also told me it was normal to burn a quart an oil every 1000 miles.
Normal? NO. Acceptable? Sure! Big difference. Have a 2007 Camry with 60,000 miles. Never uses ANY oil between it's regular 7,500 mile changes. Oil used is 0W20 Genuine Toyota Fully Synthetic. Have owned 6 new cars past 20 years and NONE used any oil between changes.

Ran them all in the same way. Drove them just like a fully run in car. IE: Plenty of WOT and deceleration. Have no idea why some Camrys are having this problem other than they are being run in far too gently.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 AM

Have no idea why some Camrys are having this problem other than they are being run in far too gently.

Huh? Does anyone even think about "running one in". And if one "runs it in too gently" exactly how does that allow for oil consuption to be greater/lesser or normal. Given the list of possible reasons for the oil consumption, why would "run in far too gently" be on that list? With all that has been p[osted on this for so very long now, is it likely that the "run in too gently" problem has been overlooked?

And the oil consumption is "Acceptable". Not in my world.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Wink 2009 Camry Burning Oil Since I Bought It

To be honest I liked my 2009 Toyota Camry; even though it did burn from 1 quart to 1.5 quarts of oil between 5000 mile oil changes. Toyota knows the block they used on some Camry's was/is DEFECTIVE. The block has design problems that Toyota refuses to accept any responsibility for. There is no magical burnin technique that if not performed correctly will cause your Camry to burn oil. This is Toyota's design problem. I personally know no new car should be "Burning oil between oil changes". That is not how new cars are designed to operate. If Toyota tells you that they are not being truthful. I traded my 2009 Camry in with 60,000 miles on it. I now drive a 2011 Toyota Camry that does not burn any oil. So what's the difference between a 2009 Camry and the 2011 Camry. Toyota will tell you they redesigned the block to improve performance and gas mileage, but I know they know they redesigned the block because the 2009 Camry 2.5 block was/is defective. Stay on top of this because sooner or later Toyota will have to answer for this mistake.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 AM
Default TSB for 2.4L I4 - Oil burning. Also massive problem defective water pumps

Originally Posted by OptimusPrime
To be honest I liked my 2009 Toyota Camry; even though it did burn from 1 quart to 1.5 quarts of oil between 5000 mile oil changes. Toyota knows the block they used on some Camry's was/is DEFECTIVE. The block has design problems that Toyota refuses to accept any responsibility for. There is no magical burnin technique that if not performed correctly will cause your Camry to burn oil. This is Toyota's design problem. I personally know no new car should be "Burning oil between oil changes". That is not how new cars are designed to operate. If Toyota tells you that they are not being truthful. I traded my 2009 Camry in with 60,000 miles on it. I now drive a 2011 Toyota Camry that does not burn any oil. So what's the difference between a 2009 Camry and the 2011 Camry. Toyota will tell you they redesigned the block to improve performance and gas mileage, but I know they know they redesigned the block because the 2009 Camry 2.5 block was/is defective. Stay on top of this because sooner or later Toyota will have to answer for this mistake.
It is not normal for engines to burn much over a quart in 5K miles. My 09 3.5LV6 never even moves off the full mark between 5K oil changes ... even when I moved from KS to FL ...... and drove almost all highway - often traveling at speeds over 100mph if I could get behind a Lexus or BMW with a good radar detector ......

Anyway ...... try the toyota nation 6th generation camry forum and there is massive discussion on the piece of junk 2.4L I4 oil burning and water pump failure problems.. Many get new engines or engines rebuilt ..... lots of water pump replacements under warranty.

there is now a TSB on the defective oil burners.

Also, the 2.4L was in the 07 to 09 Camrys. The 2010 & 2011 is a 2.5L with completely different design & more horsepower.

Kind of pissed right now: my '07 Camry is getting its engine rebuilt - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul3637
A large percent of this engine for the 2007 model year is replete with oil buring problems.
It's all over the net.
Many people get no relief ..... dealer tells them it's normal

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=388067

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...89#post3622789
see my post therein

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Enthusiast Forum - Powered by vBulletin

There was a bad batch of these engines that were mis-engineered. The problems were fixed in later models and it sounds like they are replacing the parts in question with the updated/corrected parts. So your chances of this happening again is about zero.

My dealer said it was not normal and that they had seen it in several Camrys of the same age. I guess it was good I am dealing with an honest dealership.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 AM

I have a 2007 camry 2.4 liter and it consumes oil I would say 4qts per 5000 miles.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 PM

I bought a 2007 Camry and had all service done at Toyota dealer. So I had a false sence of security that everything was just fine with my car. However, just before the 80,000 miles i was check to see if i had enought windshield wiper fluid and just happend to check the engine oil and to my suprise it was at the bottom of the dip stick. I had just done the service and it had 2900 miles since my last serive. I took to dealer and they check and it had no leaks and they added 1 qt of oil. Well just before it was due for its 5000 mile service it was low again another qt. So took it to the dealer and they are going to do an oil consumption test. What the hell, its using two qts of oil in between oil changes. This is bullsh*t. I will never again buy another toyota vehicle. Buyer beware, because it does say in the owners manual that the engine could use 1 qt of oil for every 600 miles, this is bullsh*t. A new car using that much oil. If i wasnt so mad i would trade it in to Toyota and see what they would do with a piece of sh*t car that uses 2qts of oil between oil changes. The 4 cylinger engine only holds 4.6 qts or so according to the manual. This is cr*p.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 PM

I have the same problem. Called Toyota USA and the representative stated that calls were heavy on this subject. Representative also stated that Toyota USA sent a memo out to all dealerships nation wide that complaint to this issue that the dealership is to do a oil consumption test. If your vehicle is still under warranty then apparently rings will get replaced and if not......well, you know that answer. It's called....deep-dive into your own wallet! Just BS.....it's all BS. Hopefully they get enough complaints to warrant a recall and have the block changed out.
PLEASE CALL TOYOTA USA AND TAKE THE TIME TO FILE A COMPLAINT!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Default Been happening since 2002

Since I have owned my 2002 (bought at 122,000) miles, it has been burning about 1 quart or more every 1,000 miles. I have the 2.4 4 Cyl. engine. What's amazing is that Toyota has known about this issue with the engine for at least 5 years. Their fix ? State in the manual that it is ok to burn this much oil. Toyota is a really poor company to do this. This is not normal for an engine.
I took it to the dealer, and as others have stated, they play dumb. It's really frustrating, I really just want an answer why it is burning so much oil. They string you out with multiple visits and in the end, say it is normal. They know exactly what is wrong with their engines.
Now I'm trying to sell my vehicle and will have alot of difficulty explaining this is normal to prospective buyers.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Default Common Problem - Here is Toyota TSB #

Toyota issued a TSB on the oil consumption problem in these engines. TSB #0094-11 (August 2011).

A copy in pdf format is at this link:

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf

The new standard is 1200 miles per quart, not the 600 miles per quart stated in the owners manuals. That is ridiculous as well so it's only going to apply to the worst of the worst oil burners that are still within the warranty period.

The real limit on what is acceptable should at least be the 1 quart every 2,000 miles they used back in the 1970's.

My 3.5L 2009 2GR-FE engine burns ZERO oil and the oil still looks clean after 5,000 miles oil change intervals. I have 40K miles on car now and used Pennzoil 5W30 conventional oil until last oil change when I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic. Both oils behave the same !!!!!!

Last edited by Paul3637; 11-27-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: supply link to TSB

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption