General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe try a 10W-30 oil.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Default Switching oils

I switched to a 5w-30 some time ago. I too have always done my own oil changes, and a whole bunch of other stuff. It seems to have slowed down the burn rate a bit, which makes sense since it is a higher viscosity on average. The 5w-20 stuff is essentially an EPA cram-down in the elusive pursuit for 1/10th more miles per gallon at the expense of a longer lived engine - which the EPA also despises. My usage is noticeable but not terrible with 91,000 on the 4-banger in my 2008.

10w-30 is still out there, but is now an antiquated viscosity combination used in older vehicles and my lawnmowers (just like 10w-40).

If you really want ot slow it down, do like many do with the older Harley's - put some straight 30W or 40W in it. I would likely do this only if it were laying down a blue smoke trail with car from the Fed motor pool behind you carrying a couple of EPA agents.

I get the impression that this problem affects only a small percentage of Camry's. Of this number, probably only 1% of the owners have ever popped the hood. With these being mainly 2007 and 2008's, it seems Toyota is basically waiting things out as most of these vehicles are now 5 or 6 years old and nearing the end of there usual life (but not serviceable life). Not a bad strategy actually. It will likely work. Not happy with it but it does seem to be a viable strategy.

Heck, if I weren't in the grasp of the jaws of this Obama economy, I would likely pull the ripcord myself and move along to in all likelihood another Toyota. The new Camry looks good, and my 2006 Tacoma with the V-6 still purrs at 135,000 miles with zero oil usage. The 90 model truck before that one was running great when I got rid of it at 185,000 miles. Last I heard, it was at 225,000 and still going.

Or, go somewhere besides the dealer and talk to then about a short block. It could stretch the life of the vehicle a long way for what would be a noticeable but not prohibitive expense (a lot less than a new one).

Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Default Oil consumption 2009 Toyota Camry SE

Just bought a used 2009 camry se 4cyl, model 78,000 miles on it. Drove the car for 3,000 miles and noticed the oil level low when I checked it. Had it changed at the shop and drove away. Drove 5,000 miles this time and the car was almost two quarts low. Very strange. No leaks per the shop. It does not smoke and I am getting around 28-29 mpg. What gives????? I have three toyotas and the other two do not do this at all.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 PM

I did try 10w-30 still uses oil????

Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

The 4-cylinder engine has oil consumption problems. The fix is new pistons.

Toyota will only pay for repairs if the engine is consuming more then 1 qt per 1200 miles and is still under warranty.

Unfortunately for most owners oil consumption can be excessive but not over 1 qt/1200 miles. 1 qt/1200 is now deemed acceptable oil consumption by Toyota for this engine.

Or the magic oil consumption level is reached but alas, the warranty has expired.

A win/win for Toyota. Not so great for Toyota owners.

Last edited by toyomoho; 01-31-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn
Just bought a used 2009 camry se 4cyl, model 78,000 miles on it. Drove the car for 3,000 miles and noticed the oil level low when I checked it. Had it changed at the shop and drove away. Drove 5,000 miles this time and the car was almost two quarts low. Very strange. No leaks per the shop. It does not smoke and I am getting around 28-29 mpg. What gives????? I have three toyotas and the other two do not do this at all.
Join the CROWD>>>>>>>We all have the same issue. Did the oil consumption test at the dealership. Results were that my 07 Camry is burning .75 quarts of oil every 1200miles. There answer was that this was normal......My *** this is Normal!!!!!!! nothing we can do but wait it out for a recall to be issued.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Default Camry Oil Burning Problem Solved

My 2008 Camry SE, one good looking car I must say, used about a quart every thousand miles. It currently has 93,000 miles on it. It wasn't as bad as I've read some of you fellows having to endure, but it sure ain't "normal".

Anyway, that 2008 Camry oil burning problem has been solved by turning it into someone else's problem. It was swapped for a 2012 Nissan Altima SE. It was a loss leader advertisement here locally. A neighbor works at the Nissan dealership and guided me in after I picked up on the deal via the Internet. Not too bad I thought - swapped out for $10,700 all in - everything.
Picked up 4 years and went to 4 miles instead of 93,000. I also avoided the CV joint job (they were clicking), the timing belt job (past due), the obligatory water pump, serpentine belt, and radiator flush that go with the timing belt job (or should). And, I had bought some Dunlop tires for it at Sam's Club that had worn way too rapidly and were due to be replaced again in the near future. Frankly, besides the good deal, I needed to shorten the to-do list. It feels good.

Hey - still got the 2006 Tacoma in the driveway with 133,000 miles and no oil usage and a 2004 Nissan Titan with 118,000 miles - no oil usage. While I am at it, let me mention the daily driver - a 2004 Jetta TDI with 187,000 miles - not a drop is used.

I would go Toyota again, after some heavy research.

Good luck to all.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 AM
Default Oil consumption

I like to contribut to this topic and hope will help someone.
I live in Canada.Severe condition of driving (City Taxi),winter ,bad roads etc. I had 2008 Camry hybrid (with 270000km vehicle was total after accident(absorbed the impact nicely ,three airbags were deployed at the drivers side very good safety at that point).
Presently I have 2007 with 290 000 km.
I our Taxi company we 6 camry hybrids.All vehicles consume sagnificant amount of oil especialy after 100000km. We had one ocasion were car engine seased because the driver did not check the oil .(oil indicator light never came on to worn him about the problem).
My Camry hybrid used 6 liters of oil in 8000 km(it means between last oil change). there is no leak whatsoever but it uses oil at this rate.If you open your oil cover while vehicle is hot you will see smoke coming out.This is a good indicator that car burns the oil. i am happy with vehicle power and realibility,but wish not to have this extra expenses adding a litar of oil every 1000 km.Believe me or not this is cosistent in all Camry Hybrid vehicles. Oil is not to expensive but still is inconvinient problem to wach that out all the time.Greetings...

Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

The hybrid engine is a variation of the standard engine. The service bulletin on excess oil consumption covers both standard and hybrid engines.

The piston oil control ring apparently has a problem.

Has the Taxi company owner complained to Toyota Corp. Given the number of Toyota's the company has they might make some headway as this could affect future purchases of Toyota cars.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The hybrid engine is a variation of the standard engine. The service bulletin on excess oil consumption covers both standard and hybrid engines.

The piston oil control ring apparently has a problem.

Has the Taxi company owner complained to Toyota Corp. Given the number of Toyota's the company has they might make some headway as this could affect future purchases of Toyota cars.
No we never officially complained to Toyota corporation as we are kind in-corporate company with 7 interdependent owners.I personaly bring this problem up to dealership service guys .They seemed not to be aware of this issues as not very many regular owners having 300 000 km on their vehicles.
But this is the fact that with higher milage oil consumption will rapidly progres on each vehicle(guaranteed as I previously had 2008 Camry Hybrid with 260 000km plus feed back from other owners).Also Hybrid vehicles piston rings supposed to wear out with lower rate than conventional vehicle as they idle and cruse on electric engine maybe 40% less.Any thoughts.Thanks

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption