General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:27 AM

I have 07 Camry 2.4 liter engine with the oil consuming problem. I bought the car new. Toyota really messed up on the engine and they don't sell the engine anymore.

As the mileage on the car get higher, the problem will get worse. I took the car to a local dealer and went through a oil consumption test at about 50K miles and if a quart of oil is consumed in 1,000 miles, they will do a major work on engine to fix the problem. They have replaced piston, piston rings and many other components according to the invoice. A quart of oil is a lot of oil to be used by an engine in 1,000 miles. Even a pint in 1,000 miles is a lot but Toyota will claim that is normal. Normal my butt.

After the repair, I thought the problem would be gone. The problem returns. It would not burn as much but it still consumes oil. This is really annoying and is a problem. My Camry is running out of warranty and now they are saying, once the warranty is done, I am on my own as long as the oil consumption is less then one quart in 1,000 miles, consuming that is normal is what Toyota is claiming. That is really disappointing coming from Toyota.

Now I do not know what to do. I do not know if there is anything I can do with a bad engine that we know Toyota has sold to me knowing it is a problem.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

The Technical Service Bulletin is below, suggest reviewing and posting back with comments.

http://media.fixed-ops.com/Toy_Servi.../sb0094t11.pdf

Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 AM

Go to Chimicles.com to join possible class action suit for oil consumption in these engines.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Website for class action suit.

Toyota Engine Oil Consumption

Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 PM

Worth bearing in mind that this problem is not in any way isolated to Toyota. In fact, Honda recently (Sep/Oct 2013) settled a class action suit regarding excessive oil consumption in several vehicles, although interestingly not in the 4 cyl Accord. http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...-burning-claim

And a basic google search reveals plenty of oil consumption problems with other manufacturers.

Still...

I have an '07 4 cyl Camry with 65k miles, and have just started noticing the issue, doing my research, leading me to forums like this one. Seems to be using about half a qt every 800m as far as I can tell; well within the owner's manual "normal" (bullsh*it, cover our a$$) guidelines, and of course I'm way beyond the warranty period. So, what to do now? Well, I will be keeping an eagle eye on the dipstick, which in itself, just to make things that bit worse, is horribly designed, making it very difficult to get an accurate and consistent reading.

Bottom line: throwing in a quart or two every 1,000 miles is not really a huge deal. One less Starbucks? Slightly less trips to Jimmy Johns? A few less beers? The alternative is handing over a fat pile of cash to Toyota to fix a problem that stems from their own long term plan to increase volume at the expense of quality, choosing to deal with the fallout as and when it occurs. This oil consumption issue seems to be some of that fallout.

Shame. I've been mouthing off at die hard Chevy/Ford guys for years about Toyota, on the strength of my '97 276k ultra reliable Corolla. I think I'll be looking elsewhere next time. Those great-looking new Kias...hmmm.....

Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with you PeterJ. I guess I will just add a quart of oil every so often and keep an eye on things. It is annoying but at least there is not a cloud of gray smoke trailing behind the car! At least the car is discreet when it eats. I still love the car and the pros outweigh the cons in my book.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Default 2008 camry I4 and my 2000 Celica

This looks like a recurring problem for Toyota. Same problem on my daughter's 2000 Celica GT. Same suggestion on fix. I switched to QS high mileage on the celica, w/c my mechanic swears by, from Castrol GTX and will do the same on the Camry. He says the QS cleans better. I will make an update soon.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Please update us on the results of the Quaker State change. I would be willing to pay a little bit more for an oil that doesn't get eaten up.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

The issue is a design problem, Toyota knows about it but is spinning excess oil consumption as normal. With advancements in technology expect engine design to improve, not retro. Toyota is stating an oil burning engine is now state of art, ha, ha.

And where does the oil go, through the converters which may not like it.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Default 2007 Toyota Camry, Oil consumption solved

I would like to reply to every ones complaint about the oil consumption issues on the 2.4 4 cyl. Toyota engines. We own a 2007 Toyota Camry. purchased it at 44,000 miles, at about 70,000 miles we noticed it consuming larger than, I consider normal oil consumption. Upon my research and complaints to Toyota. I find the problem to be the ring lands on the piston are a very tight tolerance. Due to this is, any little bit of carbon build up will bind the oil rings into the piston, not allowing the ring to contact the cylinder wall fully to scrape the oil off the cylinder walls as they are designed to do. This allows that oil that remains on the cylinder wall to then be burned off causing oil to be consumed more rapidly. I decided to try an age old product called Sea-Foam that I truly love for all sorts of engine problems. I poured half of the bottle in gas tank (Full tank). And the other half bottle into the oil reservoir. Drove the car for a week and then changed the oil. After that have been closely monitoring oil level on the vehicle. I can happily report now after driving it 1400 miles, it has not consumed any oil. That is a big fat ZERO oil. Spread the word, I don't guarantee this to fix every ones oil issue. But it has ours! What do you have to lose. A bottle of Sea-Foam is $10.

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption