General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Default oil consumption

I have a 07 4 cynd. camry and get all work done at the dealer as well. I was a few hundred short of my scheduled oil change and my oil light came one, shortly after that I started to smell an oder. I stopped at some auto place to check my oil and it was EMPTY. He stated that there was probably some on the bottom, but pretty much empty. He gave me 2quarts for free and I drove straight to the dealer. I got an oil change and they too wanted me to come back every 1k. I did so and after 3k, he stated, I used 1 1/4 quarts of oil. Then he gave me some crap that if my car burns 1 qt every 1200 miles it is in spec. I know I am being screwed and I only have 11k miles left until my warrenty is gone. Any help is appreciated. THANK YOU!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 AM

Join the club with being screwed. I finished my oil consumption testing 5k miles ago. I was told (and it's in the manual), that it is normal for the car to consume 1 quart every 600-1k miles. So basically there was nothing more the dealership could do for me. I was advised by the service tech that I should call Toyota Corp and open a case to cover myself should there be a problem later. I admit I haven't called yet (busy work), but will in the next week. I'll report how that goes.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Angry 07 Camry 2.4 L Oil consumption

We have a 2007 XLS Camry 2.4L, 5 speed auto, and am either burning or loosing 2-3 quarts of oil for each 5000 miles. We have 78K miles on the vehicle. 90% are highway mileage.

We have the 100,000 mile warranty as well.

The dealer tells me this is normal, is in spec and is common, although we have never had this problem before with any of our previous five Toyota's.

We have also been informed that burning 1/2 a quart of oil per 1200 miles is normal, but the dealer will not show me the specifications on this.

If you do the quick math, that is 2-3 quarts between each 5000 mile check-up.

This is absurd, unacceptable, and I am beside myself with this.

We have been through the local dealer's oil consumption test this afternoon.

We have owned everything from a SR-5 pick-up, Corolla 2 door SR-5, Camry LE and now a Camry XLS. Our parents have owned two Cressida's, and now a 2008 Avalon.

Many of my fellow employees have either late model (2008-2009) Camry's or Corollas. I have spoken to each of them at great length on this subject.

Not one of these vehicles exhibits this massive type of oil consumption.

Landing, NJ

Old 08-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Thumbs down 07 Camry 2.4 L Oil consumption

1 quart per 1200 miles on full synthetic.

Most of the time at the dealer it is Mobil-1.

Does any one what precisely what the actual specs are?

Direct from Toyota, in writing?

We would all love to see this-

Links, PDF's, etc. all would be helpful at this point.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:29 PM

I bought my '07 Camry in August of '06 and from the very beginning, I have heard an engine knock. I suspected the oil levels from the start. I took it back to the dealer I bought the car from within weeks of the purchase and they found nothing. I have continued to hear the knock and I have taken the car back to Toyota no fewer than half a dozen times to see if they could hear the knock. Finally, one of the service managers said he heard it and they cleaned the fuel injectors to the tune of $216.00 to see if that would resolve the knock issue. That day, my "check engine" light came on and stayed on until I took it back to Toyota at which time they had to replace my catalytic converter due to "damage from the cleaners that were used to clean the fuel injectors". They also changed the oil at that time and began the "every 1,000 mile check up" for possible oil consumption. Everything was fine until the 3,000 and 4,000 mile checks. I watched the service manager check my oil levels and it was just below the halfway mark on the dipstick. 'Bring it back in another 1,000 miles', he said. The knock gets progressively worse as it gets closer to the oil change date. So, I take it last Friday for the oil change and they assure me that they will document how much oil comes out of the car during the change. I call today to follow up since it's been a week, and, conveniently enough, there is no documentation on my paperwork about low oil levels. Hmmm.
Can I Lemon Law this car? Why won't Toyota admit there is a problem with the '07 Camry? How many people have to complain before something is done? I will be calling Toyota Corporate on Monday with all the eveidence I have collected. Thank goodness I have a really long extended warranty on the car. It's a good thing, too because I fear the engine may fall out of the bottom of the car at any time.

Last edited by tinabelle3; 08-07-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:38 PM

I finally called Toyota and spoke to the manager, Barb, who was also useless. She said I could fill out a form to explain how upset I am, but that is about it. After doing two rounds of checking my oil and coming up low, I am now going in every 1000's miles until the end of my warrenty. Barb called me last week and said she was going to close my account....I asked why and she said because everything is in spec (if you look in the manual it does indeed state 1 quart per 1200 miles, and it is up to the owner to montior). I told her to leave it open until the end of my warrenty... In the meantime I am putting together a letter of how upset I am, and I am also car shopping. I am going back to my lovely Honda's! If anyone has any information or gets any help with any of these please advise. Just a note, I am taking pictures of the dip stick and the miles when I take the car in and if they have to put oil in, I am keeping the quart as to know excatly when a full quart is added, and not just "some". I am also working directly with the service manager and making them fill everything out prior to me leaving. Boy do they every love me!

The Lemon Law does not apply in this case because this is in "spec" of the owner's manual.

Any and all help is appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 PM

I have a 96 camry and it started to emit blue smoke on startup in the mornings or whenever its been parked for a couple of hrs outside. It started smoking around 65k miles and currently I have around 165k miles, engine is still good and running strong. I do my oil change every 3k and it only burns about half a quart every 3k miles.

What different shops and repair technicians have told me is that the valve seals in the engine leak very small amount of oil into the cylinder and that's what burns and emits blue smoke. The valve seal is nothing but a flat rubber washer type meant to seal and not let oil seep into the cyclinder cambers. Repairs shops wanted anywhere from $300 and up to do the job. Most said to just watch the oil level and keep driving. The shops also stated that most camry's do this after a while and it wasn't a big deal.

Also just watch your work places parking lot some times, you will see camry's emitting blue smoke when workers start their cars after work going home. It only smokes for a little bit.

But yes, it sucks that toyota and delears are in tag team mentality to screw customers on this. I believe dealers and toyota are purposefully ignoring customer's complaint and won't do anything, unless the stories of the problem show up in major newspapers or TV.

Remember toyota denied about Oil sludge problems on their v4 and v6 cylinder engine problems of people and didn't do anything other then ignoring customers, telling them its not warranty item and its within spec or okay.

Well, then websites started popping up of fed up customers with toyota Oil sludge problem and pretty soon major newspaper, TV stations started picking up the problem. It was only then toyota started owning up to the problem and did their minimum to help customers fix their toyota car engine oil sludge problem.

This is the trend of most major manufacture or companies, ignore customers until **** hits the fan and then do bare minimum to correct problems.

Yes, we consumers get screwed everytime by big business and are at thier mercy until people start responding with their pocket book.

It too bad this nation is not control by consumer rather by big business and crooked politicians.

I suggest people go to alldata.com to see what problems might be on their cars... its called TSB==technical service bulletin==mainly almost like a secret warranty depending on dealer and toyota mercy to customers.

Toyota quality is not good these days compared to their old days when they used to built problem free cars. Honda also has gone down the tube and lets not start talking about the ****ty qualities of SONY. But even still now, toyota and honda is still way better then its american car makers reliablity problems.

I would say gather enough people to report same problem and then if you have relatives in the news media to do story on it.... Guarantee that toyota and dealer reps would flip over their backs to make you happy. They don't want negative news on TV at any cost.

Last edited by honda pc; 08-11-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 AM

Well, so much for contacting Toyota Corporate. I talked to the customer service representative who conceded that the first attempt at the oil consumption test by the dealership was "unfortunately skewed" by them not measuring the oil drained during my oil change on the 31st of July. Of course, she recommended that I start a new oil consumption study with the dealership and keep in contact with the same service rep every time. I also asked about compensation for gas since I made a 90 mile round trip 5 times and they conveniently "forgot" to check the oil level drained since another service rep handled the call for the oil change. She said I would have to ask the dealership about that. I also asked her (hypothetically speaking, of course) what happens if I go through another oil consuption study and there is no problem found? She said that then the arbitration process gets initiated. Bottom line, it's Toyota's call as to whether or not I would receive any compenation for the car at that time.
I called my dealership and relayed my frustrations and the first question the service rep that had been following my first attempt at the oil consumption study asked was, "Did you tell the service rep that handled your oil change that you were in the midst of an oil consumption study?" I made the service appointment online....I guess lesson learned on my part. I also asked about gas compensation since I have to take time off of work to drive the car over to the dealership and live so far away. He said he wasn't sure. I asked about a free oil change, and he said he could "work something out". I guess something is better than nothing.
I agree that the more publicity this problem gets, the better off we, as Toyota Camry owners, will be. We'll see what the next oil consumption test brings, but I have a feeling I will be trading this car in a Honda in the near future.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:25 PM

funny thing is my 90 toyota with about 150k miles has never burned any oil or any blue smoke coming out. It has the famous 22RE engine, almost bullet proof engine.
I also used to have a 91 toyota previa le with 260k miles total of which I put in 150k miles and it never burned any oil or emit blue smoke.

Well I think Honda has its share of problems to, mostly famously called the transmission time bomb because you never know when its going to go but it will go out and cost you $5k or more for repair... Honda had transmission problems on their van and tons of people pissed off.

seemed almost like basically both manufactures used to make good reliable cars and now these days, its got frequent problems that will cost you $$.

Last edited by honda pc; 09-10-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:06 AM

i think everyone needs to stand up to toyota and tell them that u are not alone with this problem. We did not buy this car thinken there was going to be a problem with it burning oil. I will not stop going back to toyota untill they fix this problem . I hope you decide to do it too!!!!!!!!!! Gretchen

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption