General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Camry Blower Motor

Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Default 94 Camry Blower Motor

Myself being unfamiliar with Camry's I am searching on behalf of my sister who has a problem with her blower motor fan. The motor itself is brand new and works fine when tested with a battery. So the next thing we replaced was the blower resister since I was told by the dealer's service dept that there is no fuse or relay for the heater blower motor. Apparently the resister controls the speeds but if it goes out while the circuit is open? Then it won't supply power either. Now both are brand new and still no blower motor. It's still icy cold in the mornings here and I have to get my sisters car back to being reliable as the windshield fogs up too fast to be safe. Any help you guy could offer would be greatly appreciated. Is there perhaps a fusible link that could be bad? I also noticed that very close to the blower cage is a harness with a 30amp fuse which is pink and is square and long (weird) and a universal relay as well and then a red 10amp fuse. Thanks folks in advance~!~!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 AM
Default RE: 94 Camry Blower Motor

Check that the switch fan switch itself is still working. The way the electrical system works is: Battery to fusebox to switch to blower motor resistor to blower motor. If anywhere along that line power is being interrupted, the system will not work.

Does the fan turn on at all?

If it turns on ONLY on high, then the blower motor resistor is bad. This is because the resistor is used in lowering the power to the blower motor on level low-mid, but on high, the resistor is bypassed. That is a "safety" feature that allows you to use your blower even if the resistor goes bad.

Now, if the fan operates on all speeds, then you are not getting heat from the engine and that system needs inspection. You will get heat only after the car is mildly warmed up.

Good luck!

Please reply with the results, especially if you find the problem!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. The motor will not come on at all. It is new and work fine when hooked up to a battery. The resister is brand new also. The fan does not come on at all on any speed when everything is hooked up. Hence my dilemma. Can I honesly rule out that there is no fuse to check or relay to check?

Secondly I have to remiss....it's not a '94 Camry but a '94 Tercel but I doubt this is an issue as I'm sure they're pretty much the same.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Power to the motor comes from a 40A heater fuse, then through the heater relay contacts to blower motor. After this it goes to the heater switch then trhough the blower resistor (for settings other then high speed) and to ground.

The relay solenoid is powered by the Gauge fuse and is turned on by the heater switch.

When the heater switch is turned on (and Ign switch), power flows from the Gauge fuse to the relay solenoid. The relay is turned on and switch relay switch closed. Power then flows from the 40A fuse through the relay switch to the blower. It then goes to the blower speed switch (and resistor at lower speeds) to ground

The Gauge fuse also powers the instrument panel and a host of other items, thus if everything else works this fuse should be OK.

Heater relay and fuse are located behind the passengers side kick panel. Gauge fuse drivers side of instrument panel behind ash tray.