General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1 Dead 1990 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Default 1 Dead 1990 Camry

Hey, I'm new to this site and joined for one reason only. I now have the pleasure to own a dead hulk.
It's a 1990 Camry v6 which died on the way up the mountain to Dunlap. Anyway, it chugged and died and
seems to have nothing wrong with it. I borrowed a diagnostic tool from a friend and it beeped out that the
vane (volume?) air flow and the intake air tempertature are off, somehow. I took the throttle assembly? and
everything else down to the fuel rail apart and replaced the sensors and inspected the injectors. Needless to say,
it still won't run. I'd greatlyappreciate any help.

Thank You,
Glenn

Old 04-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Default RE: 1 Dead 1990 Camry

Well first id narrow down the problem to fuel or spark. Get some starting fluid or spray carb cleaner, have someone crank the engine and spray this into the air intake. Keep your face away! in case it flashes up. (The object is to see if the engine tries to start, if it does you know the ignition system is ok and your problem is in the fuel system.) If the engine tries to start then the problem is the fuel system. So check for fuel coming out of the fuel filter hose, if fuel: problem is dirty fuel filter so change it. If no fuel then check for fuel the innner side of fuel filter, if no fuel its your fuel pump. So change that.

If fuel system seems ok, its probably electrical so then check for spark at the plugs. Using a small screwdriver shoved in a spark plug lead, or a special tester device (you can get at auto parts) to tell you if you have spark. If you have no spark, check for: broken distributor shaft (dont laugh, this happened to me after it got smogged by idiot shop). Worn out coil (this is rare in my experience). Bad plug wires (really, REALLy bad wires).

If fuel AND ignition are ok, maybe the engine has jumped time from a worn out timing belt. So check that by removing the belt covers and examining the marks. (I use my haynes manual for these exact procedures, i prefer these manuals over all, in my experience the Chiltons are useless and full of wrong information.)