General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Camry. Replaced electric fuel pump, I get no fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Default 1988 Camry. Replaced electric fuel pump, I get no fuel.

Ok, so I replaced the fuel tank, fuel pump and sender. I put 2 1/2 gallons of fuel in the tank. I used a jumper wire between the +B and Fp terminals. I can hear the pump run but I get no fuel. I loosened the fuel line at the top of the filter; no fuel. The pump won't run any other way. It is a napa pump with no instructions. Could I have wired it backwards at the pump{heaven forbid}. Will the pump run at all if that's the case. I think the circuit opening relay may be bad also. The fuel sender isn't working either.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

What was the reason for replacing the pump?

The pump will only run when the engine is cranking or running.

The pump is DC and could in theory run backwards if wires switched but never tried it.

For the pump wiring harness, positive 12v is blue/back, ground white/black.

For the fuel sensor, brown is ground, green/white the fuel level sensor, yellow/red the fuel low light.

If possible run a hose directly from the pump into a container in case the fuel pump is bad or fuel line plugged. The pump may also have a built in fuel pressure regulator which could be bad. If a rebuilt pump these can be bad out of the box.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the info, this pump is from Napa and had yellow and white wires. I ran yellow to blue and white to black. The pump runs when I jump The +B and Fp terminals in the diagnostics box, however,as I said before I get no fuel. The pump is a turbine type replacement and runs smoothly for 10 to 15 seconds and then I can hear it surging so there may very well be a clogged line in the assembly the pump connects to. The line is clear from the filter back to the connector at the left front corner of the tank. All I needed to do to get the sender working was add more fuel.
I've had to replace all this due to the fact the car sat for several years before I got it, the fuel went bad and ruined the tank, sender and pump. It looks as though I'm going to have to drop the tank again. NUTS!! I could blow some air back through the line into the tank, bu I'm afraid it may blow the strainer off the pump. Any ideas before I drop the tank? I,m only home Sundays and Mondays so I can can't check the posts during the week.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Would make sense the white connects to black and yellow is hot, but.

Suggest using a volt meter to check car harness for +/- wires to confirm which is which.

If +/- wires are switched the pump will run backwards. Make sure this is not the problem as this does happen.

You can remove the pump then apply air to see what may come out the intake.

Don't run the pump out of the tank without fuel as it is fuel cooled.