General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 09-01-2015, 03:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

1992 Camry XLE thermostat location

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Default 1992 Camry XLE thermostat location

Cannot for the life of me find the thermostat on a 1992 Camry XLE V6.
I have been told it is underneath but cannot find it. I have a 3 bolt housing on the top radiator hose that connects to the engine block, but it doesn't look like that is where the thermostat goes.

Anybody know exactly where it is located?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Default RE: 1992 Camry XLE thermostat location

The top hose is probably a return hose. So your right there wont be a thermostat in there. Your best bet will be the lower radiator hose. Follow that to the block and B I N G O it should be there. If not its probably because someone took it out and never installed one agian. Usually a temp fix to a problem i suppose. I know it could be confusing but toyotas cooling systems to me atleast work backwords. I know on my truck the lower hose is the return and the higher hose has the thermostat. My advice is to replace both upper and lower radiator hoses . Being there probably over 10yrs old it will only ensure that you dont have a cracked or dry rotted hose. Last thing you wanna do is all this work to find out you need to buy more coolant because of a leaky hose which youll end up just replacing anyways.Also flush your system with water ....Very easy, drain out old coolant fill up with water let it run for 10mins turn car off drain and replace with coolant. Its and easier method but there are numerous ways to flush a system. Goodluck

Old 09-22-2007, 01:30 AM

Found the thermostat, thank you.

Changed it out, it is still overheating

New radiator, new thermostat, hoses are good, still overheating.

Oil looks fine, no water in it so assuming no blown head gasket.

Anybody?? Help!!!

Old 09-22-2007, 02:31 AM

bearings in the water pump maybe?

Old 02-10-2008, 12:49 PM

Steel - Any updates? I have exact same car, issues and frustrations...!!
(Changing thermostat today,but can't locate it...??)

I'll send an email as well...

Old 02-18-2008, 03:33 PM

Upadate...anyone...

Old 04-12-2008, 05:55 PM

I have the same car and after 3 years I am finally able to get ignition but it will only run for about 3 seconds or 1500 RPM b4 it dies. Any suggestions?

Anyone?
PLEASE!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 PM

Happy420. What you just did is known as 'thread jacking'. Basically asking another question that is off the original threads topic.

You will have a quicker response if you start your own thread. (Assuming no one thread jacks you).

Also, you might want to explain your problem a little more. Like was the car unable to start for 3 years and now you are able to start it? Why was the car sitting for 3 years? etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and I agree with 05cam, it is probably the water pump. I know my other car was overheating and I changed out the water pump and it is fine now.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:53 AM

The top corrupt is apparently a acknowledgment hose. So your appropriate there wont be a thermostat in there. Your best bet will be the lower radiator hose. Follow that to the block and B I N G O it should be there. If not its apparently because anyone took it out and never installed one agian. Usually a acting fix to a botheration i suppose. I apperceive it could be ambagious but toyotas cooling systems to me atleast plan backwords. I apperceive on my barter the lower corrupt is the acknowledgment and the college corrupt has the thermostat. My admonition is to alter both high and lower radiator hoses . Being there apparently over 10yrs old it will alone ensure that you dont accept a absurd or dry addle hose. Last affair you wanna do is all this plan to acquisition out you charge to buy added coolant because of a adulterated corrupt which youll end up just replacing anyways.