General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double highway mileage!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Default Double highway mileage!

I have a 94 Camry (V6) that does double the mileage on the highway compared to city driving.

Now I know you do better mileage on the highway but 100% more? Typical ratings suggest anywhere between 10 to 20% better mileage on the highway.

I do about 325 km on a 60 liter tank in the city and 650 km on the highway. I think the city mileage is the one that is out of whack. It has a strong smell of burnt fluid (just not sure if it's gas or oil) when running. It never could pass an e-test though it barely failed initiallybut got considerably worse as I changed parts... from catalyctic converterto oxygen sensors + tune-up.

So what would explain such a big discrepency between city and highway mileage?

Old 05-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Default RE: Double highway mileage!

If youre burning fluid and cant tell what it is, I'd say theres a possibility that it's *...the dreaded words...* head gasket. [sm=imsorry.gif]

I could be wrong, but that was the case with my fathers van and we had to do a whole teardown of the front end. of course he made out well by replacing half of it for performance parts I wonder where I get it from..?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Lukus
So what would explain such a big discrepency between city and highway mileage?
Fuel leak?

Old 05-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

lol lets just say with my v6 i get about 16-18 mpg pure city and25-30 (i have hit 35 before) pure highway driving around 70mph with no traffic in fairly mild weather.

so....you're not the only one.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:35 PM

I don't think it's a head gasket problem nor do i think it'sa gas leak.

It doesn't burn oil as I never need to top it off. I do have a leak in the gas filler neck which is a recent thing and has not affected my mileage in the year and a half i have owned this car.

The mechanic that did the e-test basically told me... "as you can tell by the smell, it didn't pass the e-test". I have a feeling my mileage problem and the e-test failure are related... perhapsin thelow idling range.

Other than it's a gas guzzler in the city, the engine runs quiet and smooth... just like new.