General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Camry stuck in park and console removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Default 1993 Camry stuck in park and console removal

OK I really did search for these two topics last night and today on this forum. But I cannot find word one on what I need. I read hundreds of posts and NOTHING!!Well my shift lever gets stuck in park quite often and I have to "cheat" and flip the little black cover off the console and use a key or pen or something to push that little white palstic piece to by pass the shift lever lock. yes my foot is on the brake and everything. I have had this problem off and on for years now. I have been taking my car to a 30 year toyota mechanic and a couple times he has told me he has just sprayed windex on the solenoid down underneath the console to clean off coke or coffee or whatever.

Well I am poorer now, and I am a "handy" guy. so I tore into it last night........well clumsy medropped a few things down in there and to tell you the truthI cannot get to the solenoid anyway to clean it up ( plus it does not look that dirty). So Lord knows how my mechanic did it but itthe same problem keepsrecurring anywaySo I said what the heck, i wll take the console loose and off, get all the stuff ( screws etc) and just REPLACE that solenoid with a new one so I doNOT have this problem any more. WellI have taken every screw known to man loose toget that console loose and it will slideback a bit and the problem seems to be under themiddle armrest compartment in the console in getting it completely loose. Any body gotany hints or suggestions for the shifter solenoid Or theconsole??? PLEASSE??????

In the meantime, I am driving my truck since Ipersonally have totally disable my Camry.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1993 Camry stuck in park and console removal

The oval panel surrounding the shift console prys out. Use a flat blade screw driver with the blade tip taped over to protect the finish then gentlle pry the panel out.

With the panel removed 2 screws behind the sifter should be exposed, remove the screws. There are also 2 screws at the bottom of the glove box. Remove these screws and the rear console box should be free to remove.

The front of the console has 1 plug (plastic plug-in fastener) on each side and 1 metal screw on each side at the upper "wing" of the console that extends out.

Remove the plugs and screws and the console should be free.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:36 PM

thanks toyomoho, I have done all you said ( actually before you answered), my problem is that in the box under the armrest, it is covered with felt like stuff with NO, NONE , NADA holes or screws exposed and even if I feel with my hand I do not feel holes for screws...........but indeed it does feel like that is where it is stuck so something is holding it there, maybe there are some slide-in plastic clips on the bottom of the box????? anyway thanks, i am going back to my little one room shop now to try some more. I am trying to NOT tear anything up so i can put it back together..........I wish there were exposed screws in that arm rest box in the back middle and I'd be set, this is a 1993 car........Ok going to look again now..........thanks!

Old 12-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

See private message.