General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Camry- Sunroof problem! help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Default 1993 Camry- Sunroof problem! help!

1993 Camry LE 4cyl. (factory sunroof)

Never had a problem at all with this sunroof and have had the car for 10 years...

I was cleaning the tracks and spraying lithium grease spray in the tracks on my sunroof as recommended by the delearship to keep it lubed..It wasn't very dirty to begin with...

Never had a problem with it until now, after I greased the tracks!

I was using the controls to move the sunroof back and forth to work in the grease in the tracks. all was going well until I heard a small "pop" from where the sunroof control buttons are on the headboard above the rear view mirror...

Now, the sunroof will move all the way forward, but won't close upward into place and is sunk in about a half inch on the drivers side (leaking can occur if it rains here soon). Also, when pressing the sunroof buttons, the entire button "housing' will move left and right as if something is loose underneath...this is very strange to me!..

Is there a simple fix? I did remove the sunroof button housing trim cover and notice a large flat head screw. I haven;t done anything as I want feedback beforehand if I can fix this myself..

Please help before it rains, not supposed to hear in the next few days..

Brian

Old 06-26-2011, 05:51 PM

UPDATE!...

i removed the controls housing holding the sunroof buttons to get a view of the motor above it.

while working the buttons to move the sunroof back and forth as i use the sunroof controls to open and close the roof, I notice that the motor housing itself moves left and right as if it is loose from the torque of the motor. I tried tightening those bolts and that helped a bit. but it still won't fully close on the drivers side. i have to use a flat head screwdriver and rotate ( not easy) that big screw clockwise all the way until it stops, this helps, but it still won't close all the way..

Maybe the track is dirtier than I thought?? as I have never cleaned or sprayed grease along the tracks until today.

I also notice a place to the right of the motor (about 4 inches) on the sunroof frame that looks as if a screw is missing? it is a gold colored square with a hole that looks as though it has threads for a screw...but, there is no screw there..

any thoughts?

Last edited by brianjrealtor; 06-26-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 PM

maybe the you remove the wrong control, it should point to the problem if its the right one.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:42 AM