General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Name this part, and where to get it if possible

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Default Name this part, and where to get it if possible

I was testing the heater core, to see if flushing it out actually worked. I started the engine, and heard a vacuum leak. Went to pull the line off and the little black piece broke in my hand. I then went to remove the next line, which also broke in my hand. They are coming off the orange and blue pieces. I'm not sure what they control, or what to call them. I know the engine now won't run at all with these lines off, so I assumed something to do with the fuel.
If anyone could tell me what they are, and really where to get them, that would be tremendous.
Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/6779/9E2B594274CD4AFDB5066031ACF9D167.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Name this part, and where to get it if possible

Both items look like VSV valves. These valves turn on/off vacuum in the line(s) running to it.

The blue item looks like it connects to another vacuum hose coming in from the side. The valve would turn on/off vacuum between the two hoses connected to it.

The orange item looks like it vents the vacuum hose to the atmosphere. The vent may be the the round object on the end of the valve. The valve would either vent the vacuum hose to atmosphere or close the line off.

These valves are made of plastic. Can you remove the items. If the vacuum other hose will not come off cut it right after the nipple where it plugs into the valve. Unplug the wiring harness. Find the broken parts.

If these are valves they are not complicated. You just broke off the nipple. You may be able to take a drill the same size as the nipple OD then oversize the hole in the valve body. Once done slide the nipple into the hole and epoxy glue into place.

Or find a short section of steel or other tubing and do the same.

You only need connect the hose back to the valve and have an air tight joint joint.

The valves would most likely be 12V DC powered.

You might be able to find another valve that will work. You will need to determine what the normally closed position of the valve is. Blow through the valve, then apply 12V and try again. The valve will either either be open when off or closed. Appying 12V will either open or close the valve.

U

Old 01-20-2009, 09:18 PM

I see. The orange side has 2 lines coming from it. The blue side has only one line, and then what looked to be a plug, but could have been what you were talking about running it to atmosphere.
There seemed to be a hardened goop type material already on the orignal housing of what the lines plugged into. Inside of this housing was a very small cylinder with an attached spring. I have those, but no real good way of repairing the plastic pieces, as they basically crumbled apart.
Tried the junkyard, but of course, no 3.0's there. I though of just running the lines myself, but those cylinders in there, one for each side, I figured i could create no good way for them to travel as intended.
I described the part to the toyota dealer, but he had no idea of what I was talking about.
Is there a parts fiche available, like you would find when looking for a motorcycle part?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: bmfyzf607
Is there a parts fiche available, like you would find when looking for a motorcycle part?
Yes, at the dealer. Get them to show you their exploded parts charts for that area.