General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Toyota Camry Tramssion Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Default 1995 Toyota Camry Transmission Questions

My friend recently picked up a used transmission for his '95 Camry with the 2.2 in it. Now the problem is that the "new" used transmission has a different shift selector on it, and one of the solenoids has a wire running from it that the other transmission does not have. Only found this out after the transmission was pulled.

Now since the year and engine are the same, confirmed by VIN # he got from the used parts seller, WHY? Why are these two transmissions different. I contacted a local dealer and they had no clue. On a autoparts website they list solenoids for a a140e and a a141e. Are the only differences the two problems I mentioned or are there more internal differences. Unfortunatly a lack of information on the internets isn't helping.

Please respond ASAP.

Thank you,
Ben

Last edited by stfuad; 02-21-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest you compare the location of the solenoids, wiring, wiring color, etc. Each trans has 3 solenoids plus a speed sensor. The sensor is mounted on top of the diff housing.

The trans may be the same, the wiring just a little differant.

Can you swap over the wiring and selector from the old trans?

Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 AM

Unfortunately not, the plugs are different and I don't own a service manual for the camry. The solenoid in question is the one near the differential housing on the rear of the trans.

I talked to my friend and he is going to try to find a exact match for the old trans. Though I still wonder why with an update (140 to 141) toyota or whomever manufactured the trans. would do that. I suppose that such matters are left to the people with bigger brains than us peons who work on cars.

One of the things I like about working on American transmissions are that the updates are not as retarded. the 4t60e to 4t65e are only internal changes as well as the 4l60e to 4l65e.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Check the drivers door for a sticker having the trans model. For cars in the US the trans was an A140E.

The A141E was never used in Camry but listed for the MR2.

If one trans is an A140E and the other an A141E this could explain the differances.

Do not know the differances between the two trans. My info indicates the A141E is an offshoot of the A14OE. The rebuild kits list both trans use the same kit thus the share the same parts.

You need a A140E. Camry, Celica, Celica GT, Solara.

Also keep in mind Toyota has an A140L and an A140H, don't use these either.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:08 AM

It was indeed a a140e trans, it seems that the transmission we received the first time was a a140l. Or so I assume. I'm still not sure on the exact differences other than one being electronically controlled. If someone could expand? Pictures would be nice too...

A follow up: Not even close to being done with this, went to a salvage yard to find a tranny found one, a140e, same as the one I have (verified by the sticker on the door - didn't know the trans model was listed there...) The car wasn't in a position for me to pull it myself, it being buried in snow and close to flat on the ground. So I paid the yard to pull it for me, 3 days later I get the call that it was ready to be picked up.

Send a friend who was working on the car with me. Mind you we went through this before and this kid is push over.... sigh. He picks it up and guess... it's the same a140l? transmission again out of a 1992 clearly marked on the bell housing. I found this out by calling him to verify he picked the damn thing up. I realize it's not his fault they pulled and gave him the wrong transmission and I don't want to yell at him, though I'm very close to it.

[rant]
BUT he knows what the correct trans looks like and he loaded it into the back of his pickup. Yet he didn't say anything to the guys at the yard? I can't believe I'm paying him to do anything... I could go on and on I've had this car sitting in my garage for a week, I work ALL the time, when I'm not working my normal job(s) I fix cars. It makes me mad that he didn't have the foresight to look at the damn thing before he loaded it up. ARGH! Now I have to call this guy up and tell him his car won't be ready, again. And I have to deal with the salvage guys now. On my one friggen day off.

Even when I first got the car in the garage I had asked him to do some simple things that woulda taken him about an hour while I was at work. Undo the ball joints, and get the plastics and misc crap that's connected to the subframe off. When I get back, He's taken off a plastic piece and two wheels............................................ ... Managing to snap all the bolts that hold said plastic pieces up. It took me about 2 hours once I got home from working all day, to get the trans on the floor. Sigh.
[/rant]

Sorry about the bitchiness, I am beyond frustrated right now.

Last edited by stfuad; 02-27-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

The A140L would not have the electric solenoids, other then that they should almost look alike. But there should be a plate on the trans indicating what model it is.

If you used an A140E and install an A140L the computer will be looking for the solenoids.

See private message.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the info. It seems Toyota had two models for the A140E transmission (between the two generations). The earlier model A140E had the second speed sensor which I mistook for a solenoid.

I suppose when the salvage guys argued that you could use the earlier model A140E, they were right. But the lack of the wiring for that second speed sensor on the third generation wiring harness is curious as to how the controller for the transmission would react.

Though as it was not my money to play with it was better to be safer than sorry.

Thanks for the help toyomoho, that pm helped a lot. With those confounding questions I had.

Everything went back together fine after I got the transmission I needed. Went on a test drive to find the car had no power and would stall in gear and in reverse. This car already had one catalytic converter fail previously(was fixing an exhaust leak, took off the upper converter to find the material had been... destroyed.) So I pull the lower converter to find it was almost completely blocked solid. Had to do a quick hollowing out to get it running. The car moves again! It's great to have it out of my garage.

Last edited by stfuad; 03-01-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: ninja edit
Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for keeping us up to date.