General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Camry XLE 4cl, after starter replacement, sputtering start

Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Default 1996 Camry XLE 4cl, after starter replacement, sputtering start

hi folks,

I just replaced my starter on my 1996 camry, as I heard the famous clicking sound. Turns out it was the battery (doh!) so I bought a new one of those. However, where as before the problem occurred, the car started right up, now the car turns over (very quickly with the new starter and battery) but sputters and dies, then I start it again, and basically have to let it sit once started for about 5 minutes, until I can push the gas without it sputtering to a stop. The only thing I can think of is that when changing the starter, I had to take off the little pipe with the thermostat sensors on the drivers side of the engine, behind the starter so I could unscrew the starter bolt. Of course coolant leaked out, but I put that tube back on tightly, bolted the air filter box, and put the starter back in tightly. Now the engine light is one, which from what I understand may be due to fluids on the converter, or some oxygen thing I tripped up. When I drive for miles I can start up right away, but leaving it for an hour or overnight I have the start up problem.

Any ideas here?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Kelly

Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

The quickest way to find what may be the problem is getting the trouble codes read. Some autoparts stores will do this, some charge, others don't.

Did you reinstall the air temp sensor into the air filter box?

Did you remove the cruise control box and somehow damage something?

Old 05-25-2011, 01:47 PM

Thanks a lot Toyomoho,

Really good questions. Is the cruise control box the one in front / right of the starter? I only unscrewed a screw and there is a plastic snap, to take it off but don't recall breaking anything just lifting the cover, not sure if thats the cruise control mechanism. What could I have broken that would cause these symptoms you think? The check engine light was not on before this, so curious. If I took a pic would that help? Also not sure about the air temp sensor or where it is, in terms of things I took apart, i only unclipped the three clasps from that big air filter box, to the right of the engine by the starter, and the one in front of the starter directly. I don't remember unplugging any sensors per se. It sounds like maybe I pried something lose. I'll take pics and show you shortly, and really appreciate your help. I'll go to Kragen and see about a sensor check. Also curious about what actually causes that sputtering now until it warms up and how the sensors can affect that.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Also curious about which coolant you took off.

Obviously something changed after the starter was replaced. Getting the trouble code(s) read may pinpoint what this was. Suggest doing this first as it may save a lot of time in doing diagnostics.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Default Coolant

The coolant was merely the stuff that was in the tube going from the engine to the radiator, I had to remove that clamp on the tube to unscrew the starter bolt, but I put it back on. Naturally coolant leaked out but I filled it back up.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

As suggest get any codes readout. The code may pinpoint the problem.