General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

1997 Camry Fuel Door Won't Open!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Default 1997 Camry Fuel Door Won't Open!

I have a '97 Camry LE V6. The fuel door won't open. The cable latch lever has been loose for years, and I've had difficulty in the past, but could usually remedy by using my key on the fuel door to pry it open. The latch cable is definitely making noise under the fuel door when I pull on it, but nothing happens. I've tried the two-person approach-no success. It simply will not open - and I don't want to pry it open and bend the door or break something. I'm able to pull the door open about 1/4 inch. I'm avoiding taking it to the dealer, but might have to. Any suggestions?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Access the fuel door lever mechanism inside the car. Find the cable then pull it manually further then the lever is able to do. It could be pulling the cable end further then the lever is able to do so may release the latch.

If this does not work, suggest reviewing the info in the link below to determine how to get behind the fuel filler area. The latch the cable connects to installs from the bumper side of the filler area. If you can access the back of the latch and manual pull it the door may open.

The latch has a spring loaded plastic pin then moves inside a holder. The end of the pin is tapered to allow the catch on the door to easily slide over it when closed.

Once the door is open disable the door lock until you can repair it.

DIY: Fuel Filler Tube Replacement Procedure (GEN3) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Default Fuel Door access

toyomoho: Ended up having to go to the stealer for a new cable assembly. I guess the little plastic pin on the end of the cable at the fuel door had separated from the cable. The Toyota tech got it open by reaching through the trunk area and removing the cable end from the bracket. I hate when that happens. . . .

Old 09-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Great job, thanks for posting back with the fix.