General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:18 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

1999 Camry LE - Battery Dead? DIY or Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Default 1999 Camry LE - Battery Dead? DIY or Dealer?

I think I have a dead battery. About two weeks ago when I tried to start it up, it makes a loud and fast clicking noise. Also when I used the car remote to unlock the door, the honk was very weak compared to its usual volume.

Today, the car remote won't unlock the doors. The blinking light that usually indicates the car is locked is not lit.

Is it as simple as replacing the battery myself? I really don't know much about cars, but I don't see replacing a car battery as being something terrible difficult. My fear is the car alarm going off and my not being able to shut it off which could annoy the neighbours as the car is in my garage at the moment.

Also, another thing I have not figured out yet is how to use the car key to open the door and not set the alarm off. I usually use the car remote, but I tried just the keys once at the alarm went off; haven't tried it since.

I am hoping that someone can help me out as to whether I should be attempting this myself, or if I should fork out the money to get it towed to the dealer (which is the only other option as my wife prefers to only use the dealer).

My thanks to anyone who has bothered to read this post!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1999 Camry LE - Battery Dead? DIY or Dealer?

Depends.

Is this a Toyota installed alarm or aftermarket? Remotes can typically be programmed to allow certain alarm functions.

The issue is if the battery is completely dead. When removing power to the car as in changing batteries, folks can encounter a few problems.

These being when power is restored cars with an ignition immobilizers it may not start because the theft protection system was attivated, a radio with a theft protection system using a code
system may now be dead until the code is reinstalled (if set by owner). If you don't have the code you will need to get one from a dealer which may cost up to $80.

And as you state the alarm my go off.

If the battery is completely dead , you replace it yourself and the alarm goes off try the following:

If this is a Toyota installed alarm try locking the car and opening it with a key. If you have the type of key with the chip inside try starting it with this key, try both gray and black key if you have them. If you have some kind of aftermarket alarm try the following: Look under the dash for a button or switch. If there is one try the following: Turn ign key on to the position before engine crank. Within 5 seconds press and hold in the override button until the LED (the blinking light) in your dash area goes solid and the siren chirps once.

If there is a toggle switch instead of button repeat the process but turn the switch in opposite direction then turn ignition switch off.

Many after market alarms are installed into the ignition switch Remove the cover under the steering column and look at the wiring to the ign switch area to see if something was added. Removing the fuses this alarm should disable the system. If the alarm was wired in the typical way the starter kill circuit is wired in a normally closed configuration and the car should start. If alarm was wired in a normally open method find the starter wire (red wire in the 98 Camry) and reconnect it to the ignition switch wiring. Source: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Car-Alarm...y-starting.htm

If the battery is not completely dead jump the battery cables with wires to the new battery before removing them. This will keep power going to the car. The wires can be of small diameter as they are only carrying less then 1 amp power.

You have nothing to loose. Try the above method for jumping the new battery into the system. If you have problems you can't fix have the car towed to the dealer. If OK you are a few dollars ahead.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 AM

toyomoho,

Thanks for the reply!!

Wish I had thought to ask about the alarm and the car key when I bought it two years ago. I was just glad it had an alarm and remote key!

I'll try to use the key to open the door and check on the alarm as you suggest. I just hope the alarm doesn't go off!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:03 PM

I didn't read anything that indicates you need a new battery... what is the battery's history? Was the battery operating normally until the day it no longer worked two weeks ago? If this is the case, you probably just need a jump start and then drive the car for an hour or so to recharge the battery.

On the other hand, if you've been finding your battery dead over and over and have been getting jump starts every few days, then yes you need a new battery.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM

In 35 years of driving and many cars and batteries I have never had one that dies gradually. The normal routine is you drive to work (or whereever) and when you get back in the car you get clicking or nothing at all. Keep in mind that I keep the battery serviced with water and connectors clean. I have seen instances where the water was low and/or the conectors had corrosion on them so that the battery was not getting charged or able to hold a charge. In those cases you can remedy the situation, get a jump, and normally be ok.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:11 PM

sestivers,

Thank you for the reply.

The battery worked fine until two weeks ago. I don't drive the car very often. I've probably only driven it 12 times this year. I've had the car since about September of 2006.l

As I said in my first post, I tried to start it and the car honk was weak and when attempting to start the car, it made the noises I described. I didn't do anything after that for about two weeks since it wasn't high on my to-do list at the moment.

Then I tried to unlock the door with the car remote, and nothing happened. The light on the inside of the car that usually indicates the car is locked and armed wasn't blinking. That's when I found this forum and decided to post my question.

I still haven't found the time to do anything about it yet but I hope to sometime this week.