General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Camry LE - Passenger door lever busted...how do I replace it?

Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Default 2000 Camry LE - Passenger door lever busted...how do I replace it?

Hi, the inside lever to open the door broke, along with the bezel around it. Does the door panel have to be removed to replace it? Any insights on price?

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Is the lever broke or you just can open the door. If the lever, do an internet search, there should be aftermarket handle out there for very reasonable prices.

If just the handle you may be able to replace it without removing the door panel. If the lever works and the door does not unlock the panel needs to be removed.

Removing the panel is not too hard, you should be able to do this yourself.

Might try the Autozone website vehicle repair guide section for info or an internet search on removing the door panel.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 PM

It's the actual lever and bezel around the lever. It's breaking apart and we probably won't be able to even get out of that door soon, without someone opening it from the outside.

I did a search and it looks like it comes with the lock. So you don't think the door panel will have to be removed for that repair? Just wondering how deep I'm getting into things here. Thanks!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

The handle needs to be removed to take off the panel, thus it should come off by itself.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM

That's fantastic news! You don't happen to know how the handle attaches to the mechanism that actually unlatches the door, do you? Just curious how it all attaches to the latch mechanism without removing the door panel. I'm sure it would make sense if I had the piece in my hand.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

It does not make sense as I gave you the wrong info!

The link below provides info for the front door panel which is very similar to the rear. Read the link completely as the process out of sequence for removing the bezel.

http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...emoval_f4.html

The upper separate piece of the door trim as shown in the photo is also separate for the rear door.

The large door handle and arm rest on the rear door also has 2 screws hidden with removable plastic caps.

And a plastic cap inside the door look handle hiding a screw.

Take your time!

The job is easy enough once you have done it but the first time can be frustrating.

And a plastic screw at the back of the panel.

The inside portion of the bezel trim has protrusion that engages the door panel. You should see the protrusion in the photo at the rear portion of the bezel. Notice how it appears he is sliding the bezel forward to disengage the protrusion. Use a taped flat screw driver for this also.

If the car has power locks pry out the switch with a flat screw driver with the blade taped to protect the plastic. Then disconnect.

There are 5 plastic snap clips on the bottom panel and one on the separate top piece.

There panel clips are located one at each end of the arm rest, one at the bottom of the panel and one on each side of the panel about midway between the arm rest clip and bottom clip.

Use a taped over flat blade screw driver for this job. Be careful as it is possible to break the plastic clips off when pulling them out.

The upper part of the panel has the lip as talked about in the link.

Once the panel is removed, to remove the door lock handle (attached to the door frame), remove the screw and pull the handle forward.

Any rods connected to the handle may need be rotated 90 degrees to allow them pull out of the handle.

Last edited by toyomoho; 07-30-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 PM

Oh, I see. So the panel does have to be removed...and it can be a bit tricky.

So the handle bezel has to be removed in order to remove the door panel?

Is the handle pretty easy to remove once the door panel is off? Pretty self explanatory?

Thanks for the link and description!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Yes the bezel pulls off as shown in the photos, a little tricky but not if you take your time.

The handle itself is held on by a screw, then needs to be moved forward to disengage from the door frame. Again a little tricky but take your time and should not have a problem.

The main thing is to not rush and start damaging things or snapping off the plastic clips by pulling too hard.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:41 AM

Thanks, Joey! I really appreciate your guidance.

Do you think any of those specialized tools are necessary? And if so, where would I find them?

Old 08-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

The Toyota manual states to use a taped over flat screw driver. If they thought a special tool was needed it would have been specified.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Camry LE - Passenger door lever busted...how do I replace it?