General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 camry engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Default 2001 camry engine noise

Greetings,
I know it's hard to diagnose this without actually seeing the car firsthand and I appreciate any insight. This 2001 4cyl 2.2 106,000mile 5speed Camry has a loud noise coming from what sounds like the front of the engine, front of the car or maybe actually the front of the engine itself, timing belt area part. It starts right up and runs okay, just sounds like a bearing noise. It's not my own car and I do not know anything about how it was taken care of or how the noise started, if it started gradually or not. Does anyone know if it could be the water pump bearing or timing belt tensioner bearings? Can the waterpump bearing and tensioner bearings get that loud when they fail? The timing belt cover and bolts holding it on look like they were never removed and there looks like there is factory silicone on the timing belt cover as if it was never removed to service. I'm tempted to take the timing belt cover off to see the condition of the waterpump bearing and tensioner bearings, I just don't want to waste my time if the problem is more serious. I did take off both drive belts to eliminate the power steering pump, alternator and a/c compressor. Any suggestions??? Thank You!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2001 camry engine noise

Suggest you use a section of hose as a stethoscope to localize the noise area.

The water pump will be located where the large input hose is from the radiator. Located about opposite this pump under the cover is the oil pump (also belt driven).

There are two idle bearings, one between the water and oil pumps and one mounted under the camshaft pulley.

If water pump take a look around the bottom of the cover for signs of coolant leakage.

This is pretty low mileage for the idlers to go bad. The oil pump rarely goes out but can have seal leak, this leaves the water pump that when failing can make a grinding noise.

If over 100K suggest you change the timing belt, once every thing is off you can inspect and replace parts are required.

The engine is very reliable thus would assume it was the WP, idler bearing, etc. and not something major.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:54 PM

Thank You for the reply. Yes, I'm aware of the idler pulleys and I know where the water pump is since I changed mine out when I owned a 92 and the current 95 I own. The noise is just really loud and I was just wondering maybe if someone had this problem or knew any other way rather than pulling all apart. I was thinking about taking the timing covers off, disabling the ignition and having someone crank the engine while I look and listen to the belt turn. If it could be the water pump, does it make a really loud grinding noise? Thanks for the input.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

The WP can make a grinding noise if the bearing is really bad. If this bad you should be able to feel the roughness when rotating the part by hand, there may also be excess shaft play.

You should be able to localize the noise area and if under the covers they would need to be removed.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 PM

I will report what I find once I remove the covers. Hopefully I can see the problem before removing the belt. The noise is really loud so I am skeptical about it being an idler pully or waterpump bearing. I never heard one that loud before. Thanks for the input!