General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 2.4L exaust system issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 AM
Default 2002 2.4L exaust system issue

Hi, I've got a question for 2002 camry 2.4L engine

this may sound a bit strange.
and i'm not sure how to explain this.

problem is... when vehicle is used everyday,
it runs just fine. no problem

but when it is parked over 36hours(or longer), and when I start the car,
big puff of white smoke comes out from the tailpipe.
i mean it's quite a huge white smoke.
(and smoke doesn't come out when it's being used everyday.)

this is ongoing issue for a year now,
but surprisingly, it passed smog test last year.

any suggestion or solution with this issue?

Thanks....

Old 02-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

When you know the situation is going to occur, have someone else start the engine while you smell the "smoke."

Try to determine if the odor is oil, water vapor or coolant/water.

Start monitoring the coolant level in the radiator overflow tank and if it is dropping without any known cause.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:34 PM

Thanks for responding.

I've noticed that my coolant tank was getting low, but i filled it time to time and

the smoke smells kind of gas, oil, a little bit of both, it's really complicated stink, maybe coolant vapor because smoke is bright white, not grayish white.

but i'm still getting decent gas mileage, I thought the problem is catalytic converter, but it passed the smog test not that long ago.

if it's the cooling system, what's the possible solution?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

How many miles on this engine?

Coolant tends to smell sweet.

If the coolant system does not have a leak from a hose, etc then it could be a bad head gasket. This engine had a design flaw where the head bolts would pull out of the block, the result being the head gasket failed. Coolant gets into the cylinders and is blown out the exhaust. The block is aluminum, not a problem except for the design flaw.

You might try releasing the pressure from the coolant system via the radiator cap, of course do this when the system is cool enough. If the system is not pressurized perhaps less coolant would be forced into the cylinders over time when the engine was off. Then start the engine after 36 hours and determine if the cloud of smoke has been reduced.

If the head bolts are the problem the fix is complex and expensive. Suggest you do a history search at this site on this problem as there is a long thread about this and what can be done about it. A google search will also turn up hits.

There is one test that can give a yes/no answer if the head gasket is blown is called a block test. Is uses chemicals to test for exhaust gases in the coolant. A kit costs about $50 at autoparts stores or a well equipped shop should be able to do the test. If the coolant tests positive for exhaust gases the head gasket is leaking.

IF the head gasket is the problem, there is no quick and cheap fix.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:47 AM

It's got 122000 on it.

and I have flushed coolant system 2 years ago and replaced 2 main hoses, and a radiator cap, so i suspect it's the head gasket.

Thanks for explaining the issue in detail. I will get the tester and give it a shot.

one more question.

What will eventually happen if I just let it be like this? and is it even fixable/replaceable gasket? I doubt that it's not a replaceable gasket...

phew... I thought this engine would last at least 15 years...200,000 miles,
so diappointing. maybe i should have extended my warraty after all...

Thank you so much for your help...

Old 02-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

The fix of course depends on what is wrong with the engine. It appears to be the head bolts but best to check all possible causes until the problem area is found.

If the head bolts did pull out then the threads in the block would need to be repaired. Individuals and shops have been using a threaded insert system in the block. A Google search will turn up many hits. The engine is a 2AZ-FE.

Toyota's fix had been replacing the block but it now appears they also use threaded inserts. There is a kit available having all the parts and tools needed. Ebay might even list the kit and internet search should find it. Its not all of the head bolts but 3-4.

Not sure what will happen if you just drive the car. Anti-freeze in the exhaust is not good for the emissions system converters and over time could cause them to fail.

The engine might start having overheating problems due to too much combustion gas getting into the cooling system. A blown head gasket can cause overheating.

Suggest you read up on this problem. Again this is a long thread of posts on this issue at this site. Also try a search at Toyotanation.

There is typically a coolant leak on outside of the engine I thought under the intake manifold behind some kind of foam shield. If the issue is the head bolts the area where the coolant shows up outside the engine is common. Doing a little research then looking in the right spot may give you another clue.

Toyota revised the block sometime around 2008.

You are way beyond the extended warranty time period. Toyota was taking a hard line of this problem, if the engine was a few miles or months out of warranty they would state sorry, it's on your dime. Due to the increasing number of engines effected they have since changed their tune but I don't know of any extended warranty or good will repair for this problem. You might check on this, it could have changed.

Also suggest checking the oil for signs of coolant on a daily basis. The oil starting to look like a chocolate milkshake. This would be unusual but never know. If the coolant starts showing up in the oil, stop driving the car. Coolant in the oil can damage the bearings quickly.