General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Camry OBD-II Code P0442

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Default 2002 Camry OBD-II Code P0442

Two days ago I was driving my 2002 Toyota Camry LE when the Check engine light came on. Yesterday I took it to Advance Auto and plugged it into the computer there. I got an OBD-II code of P0442 EVAP system leak detected (small). I have already tightened the gas cap but the light remains on. After reading my Haynes Repair Manual and consulting some Toyota Forums I have found that this problem can be due to several factors. I don't want to take my car to the dealership and have them charge me to find a code that i already know or to due any other work that I could do myself. Does anyone on here have a way to find the source of the leak or any other suggestions on how to fix this problem. Also, I just had this car inspected for emissions four days before the light came on so worrying about it passing inspection is not a concern at this time.

Thanks !

Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota issued a TSB on this code (among many) coming up. Something about a rusty filler tube.

Might start by trying to find the TSB 02206.

Inspect the filler neck area where the gas station fuel pump nozzle goes into for rust thru causing a leak.

Old 05-13-2023, 11:19 AM

Joey, posted today about my son's gas cap breaking off what I assume is the top of the rusty filler tube. Any idea what an average cost for replacement would look like? I can't do it myself.

Also, is there any safe way he can drive this to at least get it to the mechanic? Any stop gap measure?

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:14 AM
Default Update

Update, fuel filler neck replaced yesterday and new cap installed as well. $250. So far so good.

I used a shop vac to suck out all the rust and corrosion first from the outer rim of the tank opening, not from the gas pipe itself! Then I balled up a large trash bag to cover the opening and then used duct tape to keep it in place, not air tight but covered the opening of the tank. Fortunately the tank was about 1/4 full.

Car drove without issue to the mechanic. Had a fire extinguisher in the passenger seat just in case. Also had another vehicle follow as a spotter.

When the mechanic replaced he reset the codes and now no check engine light or codes.

I did ask him to look at any major corrosion areas and tell me if anything needed to be fixed ASAP. He had one area he said to watch, but was not super concerned.

I put a piece of cardboard under the back driver side tire and gas tank to check for leaks. So far nothing, but we have not filled up yet. He counseled us to never let the tank be near empty on this old of a car.

Will report back any major issues, but now buys me time to shop for a replacement vehicle which I think was worth the $250.

Camry fuel neck filler

Old 05-19-2023, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Good job.

Typically cheaper to fix a car then buy one plus one knows what they have. Rusted filler tubes with holes causing air HVAC codes is common enough but having one pop the cap is usual.