General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Camry heater core leaked

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Default 2003 Camry heater core leaked

Hi Camry Forum members – this is my first post.
I have a 2003 Camry XLE 4cly, my first Camry that I purchased used at 46k miles certified and I really like it but the heater core just leaked and coolant is all over the driver’s carpet all the way to the back floor. Car now has 62k miles but two months ago at 60k miles I took it to a non-Toyota local shop to get the coolant flushed. I didn’t put two and two together at the time but after that service I noticed a ‘running water’ sound under the driver’s side dash after starting. It would eventually go away. I now know from other posts and forums that the noise was probably air in the heater core. I’m not sure it caused the leak or if it was the green antifreeze they used instead of Toyota red, but when I called for estimates, two local Toyota dealers said that it was very unusual for a Camry with just 62k miles to have this problem. The non-Toyota shop I eventually had the car towed to, which is different then the one who did the flush service, said they had not seen it at that low of mileage either. So the question is did the shop that did the flush cause the problem by leaving air in the lines or by using green antifreeze? This is going to set me back $1,000 and if that’s not bad enough, I’m hoping the carpet can be cleaned enough to not smell antifreeze.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Default RE: 2003 Camry heater core leaked

You need to verify that the leak is not just the connection hoses at the heater core and not the heater core itself. I believe the red toyo coolanthas a longer use cycle than the green kind. I also think toyo does this to ensure that new cars with questionable engine problems can be traced to low coolant caused by the owner who has used green replacment to cover up engine running low. I use the green kind from Walmart and it is aluminum engine compatible. You could go on the Prestone web site and ask them if their green coolant is suitable for your year/make. Certainly the red from toyo will be better quality.

I don't think the air in the system caused your leak. Have you had the system pressure checked to see where at the core the leak is occurring? $1000 sounds quite highif the03's core is as easy to removeas earlier models. I would investigate removing the core yourself and taking it to an independent radiator shop. They willpressure test and fix for fraction of replacement cost.There are o-rings that seal the in/out tubes and the leak may be there. You will need to wet vac the carpet. Take it to a detailing shop.