General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 XLE Voice Navigation System Problem. . .

Old 07-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Default 2004 XLE Voice Navigation System Problem. . .

My wife has a 2004 Camry XLE that has a factory installed DVD Voice Navigation System.

When you set it to go (wherever), it still starts by saying "please go to the highlighted route to begin system guidance" (or something to that effect); but the system doesn't speak again until it says "arriving at destination". The screen works correctly, and you can see where you are, and the direction you're headed; but, that's all folks! I've also reset the defaults, which did not resolve the issue.

To my knowledge (and my wife's) this worked flawlessly prior to having the local Toyota service department futtzing around tracing wires to see why she was getting engine noise (alternator whine) in her speakers (with the radio on OR off).

It also no longer visually lists the streets in a small pop-up box at the top of the screen as you approach them.

Also, I drove past a turn (intentionally) to see what it would do. Unfortunately, it did absolutely nothing! I drove a different direction (i.e. a wrong turn) and the highlighted route remained the same. Normally, the system would have recalculated a new route immediately; but, it just sat there like a dumb sh*t.

Anyone ever had this happen, and if so, were you able to get it resolved quickly and at a reasonable cost? Her extended warranty expired just before the time they were looking for the source of the engine noise in the speakers, (which they never found after FIVE different visits) so if they broke something, I'm speculating that they won't likely admit it was their fault.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Default Resolved On My Own. . .

I was finally able to locate the Toyota technical info website myself.

So, after I downloaded multiple sets of wiring block diagrams, wiring connection diagrams, and some other electrical connection point information; I found that the pulses being generated when the front tires turn was not reaching the navigating system.

It was present in a particular wire, and the junction block, and the wire coming out of the junction block; but, not reaching the nav system (which is the last place it had to go). So, I figured it was either a broken wire at the connector on the nav system, or the connector wasn't making contact.

After removing a few pieces from the infamous 'dashboard puzzle', I was able to reach behind the nav system box and felt around for the R12 connector. I was able to wiggle it freely, so I knew I'd found the cause of the issue. I wiggled and pushed it in until I heard a distinct 'click' sound, and slowly removed my leather work gloved hand and bare arm from the maze of pointed screw ends and razor sharp metal bracing.

Took it for a test drive (at 12:35AM), and she worked like a charm!

It appears that I've also fixed the electrical alternator whine noise coming in through the speakers at the same time. Most likely was a problem with the ground connection (on the R12 connector) not being connected to the nav system.

Cool, huh?

So, basically I thought I'd just come in here to brag about my accomplishments without getting any assistance.

. . Falcon